Monday, August 28, 2023

Pork Lard Rice with Egg from Old World Bak Kut Teh & Fried Porridge in Yishun [Singapore]

The fried porridge at Old World Bak Kut Teh was legendary and in my frank opinion; better than its namesake bak kut teh. But just when you think that there's nothing more, I recently realized that the menu has expanded quite extensively since their move from block 747 to block 732. 

In my recent visit, something caught my attention; specifically the two words, pork lard! At just S$1.00, it's an absolute value meal although egg lovers like me would definitely go with the fried egg option that cost a dollar extra.

You know what it reminded me of? The tuckshop rice from Nic & Tom Eatery, which used to be at Serangoon Gardens but had since moved to Chinatown (near Buddha Tooth Temple).

Uncovering the gems hidden underneath the fried egg; simple plain white rice drenched with dark soya sauce, sprinkled with spring onion and shallots, and topped with large pieces of pork lard! Visually, it was already so appealing in my eyes! 

Break up the egg with its yolk oozing all over the rice and take a bite. Sparks flew and pupils enlarged; every bite was a sinful touch of delicious blissfulness and every spoonful was carefully savored with much gusto. 

Before long, one small bowl was cleaned up, leaving not one grain of rice. The portion wasn't big although this was good news for someone who had a starch-restricted diet. p.s. I would love more pork lard! 

It didn't stop me from ordering the same pork lard rice with fried egg the next day too! I commented to Alex that should it be my last day alive, this unassuming pork lard rice would be amongst the dishes I would love to eat before I die.  

=====

Address
732 Yishun Ave 5, 
#01-380, TST Coffee Shop,
Singapore 760285

Map
As above. 

Pricing
Pork Lard Rice with Egg - S$2.00

NOTE! 
Do note that the stall would be moving again but still within Yishun. Only problem for me is that it's no longer near my house! Last day would be 03 September and the new stall, operational from 11 September 2023, shall be at Block 285, Yishun Avenue 6, Singapore 760285.

No comments:

Post a Comment