Saturday, August 05, 2023

The Shorter Yet More Difficult to Climb Summit @ Mua Caves in Ninh Binh [Vietnam]

A basic background about Mua Caves at Ninh Binh in Vietnam; it's really not about the caves. The highlight would be climbing the peaks as indicated above and today, I am going to share about my ascent to the shorter one.

We were already warned by our tour guide; the shorter one wouldn't command a better view, and also known to have a more dangerous path. Warning given but this ignited my adventurous persona to give it a try when we reached the fork! 

Alex wasn't keen to join and decided to take this easier path with better steps that were wider with not as steep a gradient. In my mind though, I can only think of one word behind his back; weak!

My path was indeed intimidating and treacherous; one wrong move given my clumsiness and I am liking to return home in a coffin, to the tears of my loved ones and laughter from the haters. 

You know the game find wally?
Try to find Alex in the above photos! 

Path further down, where we came up from before reaching the fork between two paths, one easier one leading to the higher peak and the difficult one for the shorter one.

To put it bluntly, these were more stacked stones than stairs; uneven, narrow and required good legwork to climb up as they can be high. Please wear shoes with a good grip as it can also be slippery when the ground was wet.

Passage wasn't wide and sometimes, we had to turn to our side to allow people from the top to squeeze past us! Rule of thumb, go slowly. 

Sometimes the lack of any railing meant you would have to grasp the rocks tightly! Any misjudged movement can result in serious injuries or even death. Such adrenaline-charged thoughts excited me when I was climbing up though. 

I didn't forget to check out the spectacular views surrounding me though! With the nice, cool, mountainous temperature, I bet this would be a climb my dad would enjoy. p.s. despite his age, he is way more careful than I am!

Would you have dared to lean against the pole?
I maybe crazy but not THAT stupid. 

Phobia for height was something I had when I was much younger; now I am less fearful and this could be confirmed by the fact that my legs weren't shaking when I was there. 

Peak with a pagoda and a Vietnamese flag that you can use as a prop; a fantastic backdrop for Instagram and literally the must-do when you reach the summit of this peak that's about a hundred plus meters tall.

View in front of us! Road to the right was where we alighted from and walked in. Frankly, 70 minutes at Mua Caves were pretty tight for our day tour and I would suggest staying two nights in the Ninh Binh area instead. Some tourists actually stay for three or four nights. 

Photographs showing our way down to the fork, where we continued to push ourselves (literally rushing) to reach the peak of the taller 'mountain'! Nevertheless, safety first! 

=====

Part of Day Tour to Ninh Binh


No comments:

Post a Comment