Thursday, May 25, 2023

An Ngon Vietnamese Rice Roll (and Banh Mi) at Yishun Block 343 in Singapore

What would you have done if you saw this notice in the car while taking GRAB on the way to Singapore train checkpoint at Woodlands? I took a picture, obviously, since the place was in Yishun and I happened to enjoy Vietnamese cuisine (more so after my trip to Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi)! 

And I did pay it a visit shortly after on a weekend morning! p.s. signing up for anywheel 30-day pass had made me more motivated to ride to nearby areas for food since first 30 minutes was free.

A one-person operation; service was a bit slow but since it was a weekend, I guess impatient me can still bear with it! Interesting to see the equipment used to make the rice rolls; same same yet different from our typical local ones.

Banh Mi - this was the first one to be served. There was just one available type and I agreed to adding egg for a top-up fee of S$1.00. As can see from the cross section of the banh mi, it did appear to be generously stuffed.

While crispy after undergoing some sun-tanning in the toaster, the ingredients weren't as luxurious and frankly, not as generous as I initially though, as Banh Mi Saigon. I think it could also benefit from having more pickled vegetables and sauce. It was a good sandwich yet not impressive enough as banh mi.

Traditional Rice Roll - although there were four types to choose from (traditional, char siew, minced meat and smoked duck), I decided to go with the basic one with no meat since it was the cheapest at just S$2.50.

Visual wise, it wasn't appealing. I might as well just go to any dim sum restaurant and request for chee cheong fun kosong! Honestly, if they have a prawn option, I would have ordered it.

Well, never judge a food by its appearance just like you don't judge a book by its cover! The rice rolls were smooth and there were quite a number of rolls! Taste wise, it was a perfect combination with the bowl of vinegarish-sweet sauce that had diced up garlic adding another piquant layer to the plain rolls.

Fried shallots always helped in increasing palatability. 
Once I would love to have more, would be the diced up garlic! 

===== 

Can't wait to be back for its rice rolls.
And maybe bun cha, which was on the menu! 

Address
Block 343, Yishun Avenue 11, 
#01-141, Singapore 760343

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Banh Mi - S$4.50
Add Egg - S$1.00
Traditional Rice Roll - S$2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment