Monday, May 08, 2023

Buddhist Section for the Nam Thien Temple @ Muar, Johor [Malaysia]

The Buddhist section for the famous Nam Thien Temple at Muar wasn't damaged in the year 2020 fire that consumed the main Taoist structure and given that one is now older than the other; I thought it's better to dedicate a separate posting.

Lanterns have the ability to transform the boring look of a simple temple! With them fluttering in the breeze, it was both a sight and a mental relaxant. 

Stepping in for a closer look; notice the old school sectional metal gates that acted as a door when the temple closes for the day? That's maybe popular in the 70-80s; it was common in those days when I was still a kid. 

Front altar honored the Goddess of Mercy. It wasn't the statues that appealed to me though; it's the retro terrazzo flooring and the mosaic-tiled pillars and walls! 

Going to the back of annex. 
Multiple sets of sectional metal gates! 

Joss sticks urn. I noted the second floor and wondered the curious persona in me didn't attempt to find out the staircase leading to the upper level. To be frank, we weren't allocated sufficient time in this day trip tour to Batu Pahat (Yong Peng) and Muar.

Main altar with a big statue of Shakyamuni Buddha! 

Specially constructed tables surrounding the base of the sitting Buddha. I bet they would be used for a lot of offerings during important Buddhist holidays. 

More photographs.

In the past, I assumed that the statues of this Laughing Buddha were always featured because it signifies happiness. What I realized later was that this particular monk was said to be the incarnation of Maitreya, a future Buddha said to be savior of the world in the Buddhism beliefs. 

Books and CDs for people to know more about Buddhism. I would only say that while I identify myself as Buddhist, my understanding is barely a scratch on the surface. Oh well, so long I do things without malice, don't purposely harm people / animals etc; I guess I will be fine. 

A clock stuck in the middle of ages; not as old as the pendulum kind yet not as modern as the digital ones we see nowadays. Guess this could count as an antique. p.s. it's not working.

Would those born in the 2000s know what these are?! 
They were light switches! 

To power these old fashioned lights! I used to have something similar at my parents' place and they were a pain the ass; kept spoiling and the bulbs were not cheap.

My childhood memory about these dragon pots was filling them up with water and taking a soak! It's like a Singapore version of a bath tub although these pots in the temple were smaller than the ones I used to soak in. 

Exiting the temple! 
 
=====

Address
Jalan Dato Koh Thian Peng, 
Parit Unas, Johor, 84150 Muar, Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment