Friday, May 19, 2023

No 1 Western Food - Old School Chicken Chop @ Margaret Drive Hawker Centre (Queenstown) [Singapore] #margaretdrivehawkercentre

Margaret Drive Hawker Centre isn't exactly a place I would visit often; hence, I wouldn't have stopped with just a bowl of cheng tng at ah luck dessert

There's actually a second level within the hawker center where there are more stalls! Guess they need to work on having more directional signage as I had assumed it was a small, one level, food center.

I decided to try the old school looking chicken chop from No 1 Western Food. Frankly, I did check with my friend who lives around the area and her verdict was that it used to be superbly good in the old Margaret Drive Hawker Centre but standard had dropped.

It was a dilemma but I eventually caved in since I had such great memory of chicken chop when I was younger. In addition, I did notice that the way they cooked the chicken chop involved not just pan fry; it involved grilling too! 

Chicken Chop; indeed old school with slices of cucumber and tomato! Baked beans were supposed to be included; however, I requested to remove as I usually don't enjoy baked beans. Waste of calories and wouldn't help to reduce my farting frequency. 

Only issue so far; at S$7.00 a serving, the portion of the chicken chop was incredibly small! I had to take out my card holder for comparison and it was only slightly bigger! 

Saving grace was that many hawker operators would slam the meat thinner in order to make it appear larger. At No 1 Western Food, I had to admit it was a thick slab of chicken. That made me slightly better as I always love a good deal. 

Let's talk about the crinkle fries first. I didn't like it as they weren't as crispy as I expected them to be. I like they were left out for too long although I had to bear the blame too as I visited at a lull timing of about 4.00pm. 

Those people accustomed to eating chicken chop in the 80s would agree the chicken chop here would bring you down a nostalgic journey. Back then, chicken chop wasn't fancy and the marination was simple. This was perfectly grilled with charred bits, crisp skin that had an irresistible aroma! 

Personally, I would prefer a sweeter marination like the chicken chop from Western BBQ at Old Airport Road Hawker Centre. Usually, I don't like sauce on my chicken chop, and this was like a zesty version from baked beans; tasted not bad. Leaving the skin to the final moment of enjoyment! 

Almost licked clean the plate! 

=====

Address
38A Margaret Drive, #02-30
Margaret Drive Hawker Centre,
Singapore 142038

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Chicken Chop - S$7.00

No comments:

Post a Comment