Thursday, October 14, 2021

Belinda's Pancake & Putu Mayam @ Teck Ghee Court Hawker Centre in Ang Mo Kio [Singapore] #teckgheecourthawkercentre

I wasn't happy with the vegetable oil carrot cake at Teck Ghee Court Hawker Centre and the prawn mee at the opposite block failed to lift my disappointment. What I really wanted to try then was Belinda's Pancake, which had already sold out by the time I reached.

It must have been bad as it resulted in an aggravation of craving for traditional local pancakes known as mee chiang kueh. I actually opted to jog to the hawker centre the very next morning, from Yishun to Ang Mo Kio.

With my running tee fully soaked and peals of sweat still rolling down my face, I reached around an hour later and immediately joined the long queue. I die-die must have the pancakes! 

Despite the supposedly snaking queue, it cleared rather fast and took me only about 11-12 minutes to reach the stall front, where I proceeded to gave my order. As I was alone, I knew I would have to manage the portions as no one will be sharing with us. 

Popular item was the cone pancakes; requiring a wait of about 45 minutes, I opted out as the super tired me would want to get home as soon as possible to take a much needed shower! 

Peanut Pancake - to me, the old school filling for mee chiang kueh would be peanut. Comprising of a generous sprinkling of crushed peanuts with sugar, this is 'comfort food' for me. 

Crispy edges, the way I like! 

Only problem for me; the batter was too thick and for a person who always talks about reducing his carbohydrate intake, it was a psychological torment for me to have so much carbohydrate for a meal. 

Coconut Pancake - I can manage one pancake but I also bought the coconut filling and that's just overwhelming! I thought my stomach would be able to take it but halfway through both pancakes, I was already on the verge on forcing them down my throat! p.s. coconut filling was a bit dry for me.

As you can see from the above, the pancakes had a desirable high filling / batter ratio! But; there's always a but. I can usually buy one pancake and eat as snack after a main meal but the ones from Belinda's Pancake could easily be a main meal by itself. 

Putu Mayam - in addition to the pancakes, Belinda's Pancake also had putu mayam (a steamed, Indian noodle dish) for sale. Reviews were good and since I didn't have to wait; let's have one too! 

It's a pity the putu mayam wasn't served steaming hot as it would have tasted way better. Nevertheless, it's still a tasty meal with the orange sugar providing the addictive sweetness and grated coconut contributing to the aromatic texture.

Literal sugar overload; plus a terribly stuffed stomach. 

====

Address
Block 341, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1, 
#01-27, Teck Ghee Court Market & Food Centre, 
Singapore 560341

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
Weekdays - 6.30 am till sold out
Weekends - 6.30 am till sold out  
Closed on Mondays and Thursdays

Menu
As above. 

Pricing
Peanut Pancake - S$1.00
Coconut Pancake - S$1.00
Putu Mayam - S$1.80

No comments:

Post a Comment