Thursday, October 28, 2021

Overscoop Gelato Cafe @ Yishun Junction Nine [Singapore]

A rainy Sunday evening on a lazy weekend; I was craving for desserts after the interesting
Thai style nasi lemak and recalled there was a new gelato cafe I spotted once at Junction Nine, which was just a few bus stops away.

Overscoop - yet another gelato / ice cream cafe right here in the notorious town of Yishun; after Moin  Moin and No Horse Run. Have you wondered what's the difference between gelato and ice cream? Gelato is Italian for ice cream actually but the Italian version uses more milk, less cream; resulting in a lower fat count and calorie.

This new cafe was quite small, with just four tables inside and two outside. It's a blessing that dining in is limited to two at the moment as I imagine it could be a tight squeeze in pre-COVID-19 times.

Iconic waffle wall with hanging 3D-printed, LED light bulb cones said to be found only at Overscoop in Singapore! My photographs don't do them justice as they were a lot more mesmerizing in real life. 

Whatever the case, I came specifically for waffles and gelato, and they shall take priority over interior design; which I deemed to be complementary and should never be the main focus for any dining establishment. The aforementioned explains why I am not into cafe-hopping. 

Hot Teapot - again, the selection came from Gryphon Tea and we chose Pearl of The Orient. Where possible, I would always go for the unique / interesting sounding tea. Unlike some cafes, I am glad that the staff automatically gave us two glass mugs and refilling the teapot with hot water was also allowed. 

Crispy waffle with two scoops of ice cream; for the former, you can also opt for an alternative called butter croffle which is essential croissant flattened and toasted by the waffle iron. Oh well, I shall go for our usual waffle, and it's tempting to see the word "crispy".

Ever wonder what the cafe is called Overscoop? My initial thought was that we would be given humongous scoops of gelato. Wrong. It's that pathetic thumb-sized scoop; better than nothing although I was disappointed. You can choose the flavor for the overscoop and I had soursop sorbet; tasted like blended soursop juice, albeit ranked very high on sweetness. 

Strawberry Cheesecake Gelato - reminded me somewhat of my first experience having the strawberry cheesecake from Bens & Jerry, without the delectable graham cracker swirl. Nevertheless, there were huge chunks of sour strawberry that contrasted nicely with the sweet gelato. 

Honeycomb Gelato - said to be the best seller, I can understand why after taking a bite! It was incredibly milky with bits of honeycomb crystals that gave a burst of honey sweetness whenever I bit into one! Rare to find an ice cream / gelato flavor that I enjoy very much.

Crispy Waffle - for something with the word "crispy", I don't think I am wrong to assume there will be an unforgettable crispiness. Sadly, while the taste was relatively buttery, there was only a light crisp on the surface that soften after a short while. 

Another disappointment after the "overscoop"; to the extent we didn't even finish the waffle. Even though honyecomb gelato was really the highlight for me, I must say the scooping size, at S$5.00 each for the signature flavors, was a bit hard to stomach for my meagre salary. 

=====

Address
18, Yishun Avenue 9,
Junction Nine, #01-83,
Singapore 768897

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
Mondays to Thursdays - 12.00pm to 10.00 pm
Fridays - 12.00 pm to 11.00 pm
Saturdays - 10.00 am to 11.00 pm
Sundays - 10.00 am to 10.00 pm

Website
https://overscoop.com.sg/

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Crispy Waffle - S$5.90
Strawberry Cheesecake - S$5.00
Honeycomb - S$5.00
Pearl of The Orient (Tea) - S$4.50 
(No GST, No Service Charge)

Additional Information
Poor me shall utilize their afternoon tea set (above) in the future. Instead of waffle, maybe I should try their apple crumble tea instead.

Information about the butter croffles that I shared earlier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment