Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Penang Savour @ Yew Tee Point [Singapore]

It was the day of the mid-autumn festival but instead of spending time with my parents; I decided to meet the Great Kon at Yew Tee instead as I had to pass him home-made mooncakes. And since it's rare I am in the vicinity, why not a dinner too!?

That explained the reason for my visit to Penang Savour at Yew Tee Point! To be honest, Penang cuisine doesn't quite resonate with me and I prefer our local variances except for Si Koh soup. Nevertheless, no harm trying.

Penang Chendol - starting with dessert! I am weird in the way that I don't conform to the typical serving flow of appetizer, entrée and dessert. In fact, when it comes to buffets, it's not rare to find me attacking the dessert counter first. 

Frankly, this was a comfortable dessert; not as sweet given that it wasn't overladen with gula melaka and likely less sinful since there wasn't much coconut milk. If you ask me, go for Nyonya Chendol, which had many branches nowadays in hawker centres, if you are into more sinful chendol.

Thai Style Ngoh Hiang Roll - ngoh hiang is a meat roll that I have very high standard for as my mom's version is almost unmatched. Occasionally, I will still try to see if the quality can surpass my mom although it's super rare to find one that's just comparable.

Sadly, this was more a fish cake than the ngoh hiang roll I am accustomed with. Thankfully, the dish was rescued by the thai chilli sauce and the strips of refreshing cucumber and onion.

Penang Fried Kway Teow - said to be the restaurant's specialty, I am not expecting much as our local sweet char kway teow appeals to me a lot better.

To be honest, the taste was a bit bland and there was just that teeny weeny bit of wok hei. What I enjoyed most was biting into beansprouts in every mouthful! This will not be good news for a friend of mine who will not hesitate to pick out all the beansprouts! 

Sambal Fried Noodle
- this is one dish that came strongly recommended by the Great Kon and the very first time I saw the picture on the menu; I was thinking this looked similar to the fried noodles found in many breakfast stalls that also offered nasi lemak and bee hoon and, usually the least palatable.

This totally blew me away as it was so unexpectedly delicious! Despite the sambal tag, it wasn't excessively spicy and each bite was filled with a flavorful heartiness that made me go for the noodle again, and again! p.s. the fried egg was a top up at S$1.00.

Two very hungry men! 

=====

I don't think I can comment on its Penang authenticity but I must say I was impressed with the unassuming sambal fried noodle. In addition, the pricing was economical. There's also no GST, and service charge even though the lady handling our order would have walked away as the employee with the best customer service!

Address
21 Choa Chu Kang North 6, 
Yew Tee Point, #01-04, 
Singapore 689578
(Next to Yew Tee MRT Station)

Map
As above.

Pricing
Penang Chendol - S$2.50
Thai Style Ngoh Hiang Roll - S$6.00
Penang Fried Kway Teow - S$5.00
Sambal Fried Noodle - S$5.50
(No GST. No Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment