Tuesday, August 17, 2021

The Popiah in S-11 Food House @ Ang Mo Kio Central (Next to AMK Hub) [Singapore]

It was the first weekend that dining-in was allowed and I literally can't control myself from stuffing myself with food! It was just a little past noon and I already had two fried bananas, one fried jackfruit, one vadai, all for myself and one platter of roast delights, that was shared with my sister. And a plate of rice, for me.

However, eyes continuously veered towards the above stall with its eye-catching red signboard. Popiah was what it offered and I figured a small spring roll would be manageable for the two of us.

Frankly, not cheap at S$2.00 but you do get economies of scale by purchasing more. Four popiahs for S$7.00 translated to only S$1.75 a roll. Well, I think one would be sufficient for both of us. 

Don't you find it therapeutic to see the popiah taking shape?! It might look simple to do on your own but you need a professional to have the skillset to ensure the quality of the ingredients, the amount to add and the optimal wetness of the turnip. Greedy noobs like me would just add in more eggs.

Here it is; simple, plain presentation. A closer look of the popiah's filling didn't generate much interest; the usual ingredients although I was expecting maybe just a bit of crab sticks given the pricing. With a somewhat disappointing heart, I took a bite. 

OMG, this was surprisingly pretty good. Loaded generously with sweet sauce (p.s. albeit not to the level of Qiji), I loved the uncomplicated combination of fresh lecttuce, stir-fried turnip, tiny pieces of eggs, minced garlic and crispy bits. Sometimes, we really don't need excessive presentation and luxury ingredients when it comes to food.

=====

Address  
Block 51, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3, 
#01-03, S-11 Food House,
Big Mac Center, Singapore 569922

Map
As above.

Pricing
Popiah - S$2.00 for one roll

No comments:

Post a Comment