Sunday, August 29, 2021

Hainan Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee @ Golden Mile Hawker Centre [Singapore] #goldenmilehawkercentre

This would be my first time in many years to Golden Mile Hawker Centre but I think the timing was right as the food center just completed its months-long renovation and we are seeing a refreshed building with new entrants and stalls more or less staying put with the stall numbers assigned to them.

For this first post, let's start with Hainan Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee, said to be a veteran stall within the hawker centre with a history lasting more than 30 years, and helmed by an elderly couple. Of course I had to try for the sake of their legacy. 

Furthermore, Makansutra (the local food rating site that was the standard to follow before Michelin Guide came in) had given it a "divine" rating. In view of my love for hokkien mee, it's a no-brainer for me to order. I am also curious as this was hokkien mee but the name of the stall refer to another dialect group; Hainanese. 

What's your first thought after seeing the above plate of hokkien mee? For me, it's the dryness and this reminded me of Nam Sing Hokkien Fried Mee, albeit with more bee hoon and had a darker shade. Taste wise, it was enveloped with wok hei but parched of broth, which was opposite of Nam Sing.

There were two small prawns and pieces of squid; what's more unusual were the inclusion of pork belly and cut chilli padi (latter of which was provided by Nam Sing, upon request). 

In summary, dry hokkien mee is always considered as unique and I personally enjoyed this as much I did with the wetter version although the same cannot be said for my dad who absolutely disliked it, like another friend of mine. Only issue for me was the pork belly; a tad too fatty for my liking. 

=====

Address
505 Beach Road, #B1-34,
Golden Mile Hawker Centre,
Singapore 199583

Map
As above.

Pricing
Hokkien Mee - S$5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment