Friday, August 27, 2021

Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee & Fried Oyster from Cheng Ji @ Seah Imm Hawker Centre [Singapore] #seahimmhawkercentre

Seah Imm Hawker Centre is a food centre I frequented often in my youth as it offered the cheapest option to fill up my tummy before I stepped into the touristy island of Sentosa. Back then, one of my favorite food was the hokkien mee from Cheng Ji and I think it's time to come out with an official review!

Hokkien Mee - frankly, it's been a long time since I last had this and the first thought that came to my head was "that's a huge plate, with a significantly higher ratio of thick bee hoon".

Two prawns with a few pieces of squid; noodles were soaked with the broth which would be good as it would allow us to savour the flavour better, although the key to that would involve how flavourful the broth was in the first place. And in this case, it was not fantastic.

The sambal chilli made a huge difference in bettering the taste but there was hardly any wok hei to compete with the many good hokkien mee stalls in Singapore. Has the taste deteriorated so much or my memory had remembered its taste differently? 

Fried Oyster - many people appeared to have fried oyster on their tables and I couldn't resist ordering a plate from Cheng Ji, especially when I was super in need of food for dinner, after a light lunch earlier.

Comparatively better than the hokkien mee with a faint wok-hei flavour; albeit on the salty side. Batter with egg had light, crisp edges with plenty of gooey starch within; latter of which wasn't well-liked by my family.  In terms of oysters, there were three pretty large ones. 

=====

Honestly, it was a relatively bad end to what I initially thought would be a nice walk down memory lane.

Address
2 Seah Im Road,
#01-59, Seah Imm Hawker Centre
Singapore 099114 

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Hokkien Mee - S$3.00
Fried Oyster - S$3.50

No comments:

Post a Comment