Sunday, June 06, 2021

SMITHS Authentic British Fish & Chip Shop @ Balmoral Plaza (Walking Distance from Newton MRT Station) [Singapore]

We received news that Waffletown would be closed for good on 18 May 2021 and as the eatery brought back many nice memories when I was a young adult; the Great Kon and I, together with another friend, decided to check it out for the last time! 

Alas, the queue was insanely long even at 5.00 pm and as I would be proceeding to another location after dinner, there's hardly enough time for me to wait. Looking around, we chanced upon SMITHS; no queue but full house before dinnertime was already very impressive. 

The eatery was notable for authentic British fish and chips although there are other items on the menu and even specials like English Prawn Cocktail. It's a pity Alex didn't join us as he was indisputably the guru for fish & chips among my friends. 

To be honest, the fish and chips were costly at S$26.50 for a standard size; a small one was S$3.00 cheaper. Well, the restaurant claimed they were "of the highest quality and imported directly from UK" and that should justify for the high price. Furthermore, cods are expensive! 

Cod & Salad - chips was one option but I decided on salad given the amount of sinful food I had over the past few months. Should have stayed with the chips as the raw vegetables with minimal dressing was just not to my liking.

Fish portion was generous and it was fresh; cooked with just enough crispy batter (said to be secret recipe and it wasn't cloying) to envelop the fish, the meat was juicy, albeit just a bit too bland for me. 

I had to rely on the chilli and tartar sauces; perfection after that although I wonder if their cheapest fish and chips (S$15.00 for blended haddock and cod fillets) would be more worth the deal. 

Whatever the case, it was a lot of meat and despite not having any chips; I was literally forcing myself to clean out the fish! And to think I didn't even have much for lunch earlier! 

Kon passed me some chips to try; it's known among my peers that I am no fan of potato stuff including potato chips and french fries but I do have preferences. For French fries (American term for chips), I like them crispy in the shoestring form; the ones from SMITHS were not. However, I bet there are fans for that kind of fries / chips. 

Battered Mars Bars
- I used to enjoy snickers / mars when I was younger with a metabolism that seemed like a bottomless pit! Gone were those days but since this was listed under desserts; let's give it a try! 

Dip into a batter and then deep-fry; I guess it should be quite a simple process as there wasn't any fireworks exploding in my mind when I took a bite. Tasted just like a sweet mars bar with a crisp casing. 

===== 

Would be back again so that the guru can try out the fish and chips. There are also other mains I am keen to check out; like their steak and Guinness pie, apple crumble etc.  

 Address 
271 Bukit Timah Road,
#01-02, Balmoral Plaza, 
Singapore 259708

Map
As above.

Website
https://www.smithsfishandchips.com/

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Cod & Salad - S$26.50
Battered Mars Bars - S$6.50
(Inclusive of GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment