Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Taiwanese Luroufan & Stinky Tofu @ Food Loft in Ang Mo Kio Central (Next to Djitsun Mall) [Singapore]

"Wah, this coffee shop has your favourite stinky tofu"! A simple yet impactful comment from my sister jolted me out from my train of thought on where to settle our early dinner.

I took a closer look at the stall she was referring to and the signboard indicated it's a mixed vegetable stall, with options for BBQ seafood and signature Taiwanese snacks. Now, pivoting is quite common among business nowadays but this mix-and-match when it comes to food points to a lack of focus.

Nevertheless, the temptation proved too strong; how could I even resist stinky tofu, especially when it's not commonly see in Singapore! The moment the chef took out the tofu cubes and threw them into the boiling oil. I caught a whiff of the unmistakable aroma@! Mmmmmm, I can't wait to take a bite!

Taiwanese Luroufan - given my love for luroufan, I think I might as well order the "traditional Taiwanese luroufan" from the stall too. I didn't beautify the words; they were directly quoted and translated from the Chinese words on the notice.

Issue was; the braised meat didn't look at all like the traditional luroufan I had in Taiwan. Served on what looked like Rubee's old food bowl, the pieces of meat were too big and appeared to be chopped up braised pork belly; a common dish in Singapore's mixed vegetable rice stalls. 

To say I felt cheated was an understatement as this serving of "traditional Taiwanese luroufan" cost S$6.80 and I bet it would cost less than half if I were to order via the mixed-vegetable mode with rice, topped with one slice of braised pork belly, two stalks of bok choy and one braised hardboiled egg. 

Stinky Tofu - well, at least for this, my nose did pick up their pungency earlier and they were highly unlikely to be just normal, fried tofu sold at mixed vegetable stalls! Strangely, the stench was non-existent until I sank my teeth in!

The iconic stinkiness dispersed in my mouth and I slowly savoured the flavour! To be frank, while a thicker piece signifies greater satisfaction; it wasn't as crispy, the texture of the filling was on the mushy side and for any stinky tofu lover, the 'stench' could have been stronger! 

Pickles wise, they were average tasting despite having that crunchy bite. Overall not as good as Mini Star in Geylang but would make do to curb a smelly tofu craving given that Any Mo Kio is a lot closer to where I stay. At S$5.80, it's not cheap as I could have two plates of wanton mee by topping up 20 cents more at the nearby hawker centre

====

Might return for the stinky tofu but definitely not for the luroufan! 

Address 
Block 721 Ang Mo Kio Ave 8, 
#01-2823, Food Loft,
Singapore 560721

Map
As above.

Pricing
Taiwanese Luroufan - S$6.80
Stinky Tofu - S$5.80

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:14 AM

    Wow not sure what drives the liking for stinky tofu, but it's just smells and tastes terrible! Rather go eat some "smelly" cheeses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah i find blue cheese to have a nastier smell and taste.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:39 PM

    Very disappointed!! Just bought the smelly tofu !! Take a bite l dont feel the smelly taste !! Not strong enough!! & not the same taste !! In taiwan the tofu is very smelly !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i miss the stinky tofu in taiwan too! So far, i think the best in Singapore is still the one at geylang. check out https://cavinteo.blogspot.com/2010/10/smelly-tofu-revisited-mini-star-geylang_11.html

      Delete