Friday, June 11, 2021

Bangkok D.K Thai Food @ Block 125 Lorong 2 Toa Payoh [Singapore]

I am lucky to live in Singapore; its small size and status as a melting pot means we get a variety of international cuisines all within reach via our efficient public transportation system! 

My intention was to have a late lunch with my family at Nagara Thai in Toa Payoh but my elder sister suggested another Thai eatery at Braddell, within walking distance from the MRT station; Bangkok D.K Thai Food. 

Even though it's a stall within a coffeeshop by the name of Johnson Eatery, it has an extensive menu offering similar to a full-fledged restaurant! As expected, I was in a huge dilemma even though I knew one of them shall be their moo ping; which sadly, was out of stock. :(

If you are deterred by the sheer amount of dishes or too lazy to decide what to have, you may consider their sets instead. I have my elder sister with me and unlike me, she knew what she wanted. Good for me as it can be so stressful deciding for everyone. 

Fried Prawn Cake - looking like puffier onion rings, the light crispy batter was well received by my family and the filling inside was soft, tasty prawn paste. It was good although I thought it might be better to add in pieces of real prawn meat for better "bite".

Mango Salad - sour and spicy, Thai style salad is generally not my cup of tea but this was pretty addictive due to the sprinklers of peanut bits! 

Stir Fried Basil Minced Pork - the spiciness was unbearable yet incredibly flavorful; bet it would go super well with plain, white rice! I have had this dish before in other Thai eateries and one common issue is that they tend to overcook the meat, resulting in a harder texture. Not the one here.

Pad Thai - I have always complained that after Thipsamai, I can never look at pad thai the same way again. The pad thai here was still incomparable to Thipsamai even though it's one of the better ones in Singapore with a rich aroma complementing the smoky sweetness of the sauce enveloping the flat noodles. 

Pineapple Fried Rice
- my first memory of Thai style pineapple fried rice was from Taste of Thailand at their original stall in Sembawang Shopping Centre and it remained a favourite throughout my childhood days. My recent experience at its related restaurant, Bei Sheng Seafood, was a major letdown though.

This plate from Bangkok D.K Thai Food brought back great memories as it was in essence a non-fanciful plate of fragrant, pineapple fried rice that retained the good, old yummy taste.  

Green Curry Chicken - another favourite Thai dish that I would usually order in Singapore. However, the reviews had been far from spectacular; there's always something wrong; either with the consistency of the curry or with the taste of the chicken. 

This one? I would strongly recommend. The gravy was thick, aromatic with the magic in place to entice me to have it with its perfect companion; rice. Chicken meat also didn't taste like it was frozen. If there's anything for me to complain about this, it would be the type of brinjals used. I would very much prefer the traditionally round ones used by Thais. 

=====

I think a picture of empty dishes is good evidence on how much we enjoyed the food at Bangkok D.K Thai Food. It's a no brainer I would be back and I sure hope it would be very soon! Hm... maybe I should just take away (tabao) since we can't dine-in until, hopefully, from 21 June 2021. 

Address
125 Lorong 2 Toa Payoh, 
Within Johnson Eatery,
Singapore 311125
(near Braddell MRT station)
Map
As above.

Pricing
Fried Prawn Cake - S$7.00
Mango Salad - S$6.00
Stir Fried Basil Minced Pork - S$6.00
Pad Thai - S$5.00
Pineapple Fried Rice - S$5.00
Green Curry Chicken - S$7.00

No comments:

Post a Comment