Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Jovyn's Birthday 2021

It's not a cake you would commonly get for birthdays but this request for a swiss roll with chocolate rice came directly from the birthday girl and being the doting uncle; I decided to bake and make one just for her! 

Now that she reached her double digits (ten years old); I can't help feeling that the past decade passed so fast. It didn't seem that long ago when she was just an infant with that humongous pair of cheeks! Same goes for her brother who is now taller and bigger than me!

As per customs and traditions, it's picture time with the family. Given the restrictions imposed by the government, we decided to hold the celebration in my sister's house as each household can only welcome 5 unique visitors a day; just right for us. 

With Jovyn's immediate family; given their age difference and gender, sibling rivalry is such a headache. Now that I think back, was my relationship with my siblings that bad at that age?! 

She's now also at the age whereby boys are nasty and disgusting; hence, this picture with just the girls. On one hand, I do miss the times when she would willingly come over to give me a hug or even snatch the pocky biscuits from my mouth, using her mouth! On the other hand, it's part and parcel of growing up.

People would always comment how similar they look, especially elderly relatives who would say they are carbon copies! I remember how my sister looked when she was at this age and while there are obvious resemblance, I don't think it was a carbon copy! 

After the birthday songs (English and Chinese, thankfully), our Jovyn was finally making a wish properly! No point asking her as she is surprisingly superstitious and would know broadcasting the wish would render it useless. 

Blowing off the candles; when she was staying at my parents' place as a toddler, she was obsessed with blowing birthday candles and we often had to stick a candle in a piece of bread, light it up and sing birthday song just so she can blow it off. Embarrassing alright but Jovyn can't deny as we all have the videos.

Cake cutting time! I am excited as it's finally time to ascertain if the swiss roll tasted alright since it's been more than a year since I last baked one. 

It was yummy; roll was soft and fluffy and the swiss meringue butter cream was delish! Guess I can make this for future gatherings even though my cinnamon rolls have always been popular with my friends.
 

1 comment:

  1. happy B'day jovyn, you are leaving kids world and entering teenage world jovyn hope get best experience and enjoy the moment, the time running very fast ya,

    ReplyDelete