Wednesday, June 02, 2021

The Jog from Parkroyal Collection Pickering Hotel (Chinatown)

Jogging should be considered my favourite pastime now as I do it on an almost daily basis; to the extent I would even bring along my jogging shoes when I go on staycation. 

It's the same process when I had my staycation at the utterly stunning Parkroyal Collection Pickering Hotel (Chinatown); my running shoes actually got wet but the enthusiasm of having a run around the area meant a new pair of running shoes! 

After running past the quiet Hong Lim Park, it's Clarke Quay Central that greeted us. I love this mall as it's quite quiet even on weekends and given its proximity to Chinatown, our family had reunion dinner a few times there so that we can check out the festive bazaar after our meal.

Singapore Parliament in front of us but my aim was to jog the opposite direction, towards the tail of Singapore River. Ever interested to know how many rivers we have in Singapore? There's a list on Wikipedia! 

Good thing about jogging in the city; there are always underpasses / bridges and we don't have to spend time waiting for traffic lights. A major time-saver and best of all; it doesn't ruin the jogging momentum. 

It doesn't help when the underpasses are not boring as I did slow down my pace and took some photographs. Should I be walking leisurely, making the underpasses more vibrant is definitely better than leaving them all in plain colors.

Site of the GX-5 Extreme Swing; a new yet similar ride would be coming soon and it would allow riders to be "catapulted almost 70 metres into the air, at speeds of up to 160km per hour"! I have been wanting to take such rides and hope I could do so soon!

Clarke Quay - a historical district that had seen many changes throughout the years. Before COVID-19 hits, it's quite a nice place to chill out at night. Those not into bars and pubs can still check out the other food and beverage establishments.

When weather isn't too hot, sitting on the riverbank while people-watching might be quite therapeutic. And unlike the past, the Singapore River doesn't stink nowadays. 

If you fancy, you can order a drink from Errazuriz, a tiny bar next to Read Bridge, and take a seat at its well-placed tables facing Clarke Quay

Refurbished Chinese junk boats that acted as extension for seating for restaurants. It's a great experience I guess but Singaporeans, in general, prefer air-conditioning, especially when we are paying more for food. 

Inactive river taxis as they don't operate on weekends / public holidays. Back in the heydays when overseas tourists were allowed in Singapore, I thought they did operate on weekends / public holidays though.

The iconic Liang Court building had been torn down. I had many memories there as it used to be pretty near my workplace when I was working for Starhub; the vanilla cream puff from tampopo, kinokuniya book store, audio house, the first Saizeriya restaurant in Singapore etc. 

Works along the river bank. In Singapore, it appears that continuous development is the norm, which isn't a bad thing as it's exciting to find something new every now and then. 

Good weather on that day with blue sky and flames of clouds that looked so pretty! 

Park Hotel Clarke Quay; a building hard to miss when you are driving down Clemenceau Avenue; an activity I did sometimes when I occasionally drove from Yishun to my workplace at Haw Par Centre. 
 
Sky illuminated in a different color by the setting sun. 

Jogging alongside River Place condominium; must be nice to stay within the city. And it did seem like there are quite a number of residential estates in the area. Well, I can only afford public housing on the outskirts.

This is a bridge I have often seen on the internet yet this was the first time I looked at it in real life. Reason being it can't really be spotted from roads! Known as Alkaff Bridge, it's a boat-like footbridge that stood out from the rest due to its loud, colorful pattern.

Oh oh oh, I do recognize that building with two satellite-dish-lookalike things on top; it's Grand Copthorne Waterfront! That's pretty near the original Zouk right?

Hotel Miramar Singapore - while I have never stayed there before, I did patronize one of its resident restaurants before, maybe about 10 years ago. Ikoi Japanese Restaurant that was renowned for its sushi buffet; not so sure if it's the same now. 

Couldn't decide if I should continue towards the tail end of Singapore River or make a detour back to the mouth of Singapore River.  Factors to consider: it's getting dark and we were not even at the half mark of the river.

See, even the moon was up! 
Okay; decision made. 

Detour it shall be and we shall be running on the other side of Singapore River. In front of me was Alex; usually behind me, he was in front this time as he couldn't stand stopping whenever I slowed down my pace for photo taking! 

The Quayside - located on what used to be known as Robertson Quay, this area gained notoriety during the circuit breaker when people were found to contravene existing safe management measures and resulted in anger directed towards non-locals. 

Alkaff Bridge again; apparently very popular among social media influencers and photographers. As can be seen from the design, the 55-meter long bridge is built in recent times, in year 1999.

Can slowly see the buildings that made up the amazing Singapore's skyline; including UOB Plaza, the former OUB Plaza and Swissotel The Stamford, which, at one time, was the world's tallest hotel. 

Pity the Parkroyal Collection Pickering Hotel remained hidden;
Refer to red arrow.

Blue sheen underneath the bridge; I should have jogged past earlier but I don't remember an underpass with blue light. Could be just the light to illuminate the side of the riverbank.

He cannot tahan that I kept stopping! Technically, I didn't stop as I was just jogging on the spot but for Alex, he cannot break his momentum! So inflexible.

Meandering river means the landscape changed every quickly and even I had to admit I got confused with the bearings; maybe because I am no longer as young as before. Nevertheless, just continue down the pathway and I would be safe.

Ord Bridge - despite its ordinary outlook (no pun intended), this heritage pedestrian bridge was built in 1886 and named after "Colonel Sir Harry St. George Ord (1819–1885), the first British Governor of the Straits Settlements (1867–1873) after it was given the Crown Colony status".

Clarke Quay area again; this time with Riverside Point lighting up its main signage. It's another beautiful sight at night but my poor photography skills can't present it as well as what you can soak in using your own eyes. 

Canopy at Clarke Quay that helped to shelter people from the rain; I can just imagine the eye-rolling by historians when they saw the modern abomination in an area with significant history. 

Many of you would think this apparently old looking building could be a recently built structure as such buildings, built in traditional Chinese style, are not common here. Wrong, it's one of the oldest buildings in Clarke Quay

In the past, Clarke Quay was more popular with those who drink. However, I noticed a significant shift in visitor demographics when Haidilao opened it first branch in Singapore, at Clarke Quay

Turkish ice cream seller; the mischievous antics actually stop me from ordering! It was funny for those watching but definitely not for the one waiting for his / her ice cream. 

Marina Bay Sands (MBS) at a not too far distance away! My intention was to stop at the mouth of Singapore River as my next staycation would be at MBS and I would definitely jog around that area then.

Area slowly getting more alive with nightfall. Of course, it's likely a ghost town now with Singapore going into heightened alert, when dine-in is not allowed until after 13 June; subject to government's update. 

Another happy and colorful underpass.

Ministry of Culture, Community & Youth (MCCY) - with its painted windows that spread out like a rainbow, it's a guaranteed hit for likes on social media! Can't imagine that about two decades ago, it's a building no one would give a second look to. 

Singapore skyline with Elgin Bridge ahead of us. The 46-meter bridge was completed in 1929 and served as a important vehicular connection across Singapore River.

Underpass for Elgin Bridge; this artwork depicted the timeline in the key events of the history for Singapore River; from the arrival of Sir Stamford Raffles and present day. 

I always thought this building next to Elgin Bridge housed offices. Turned out it's a condominium aptly named as The Riverwalk! Its location can only be typed in one word; superb.

Boat Quay being dwarfed by the skyscrapers; as the one nearest to the mouth of Singapore River, Boat Quay is also the earliest to gain prominence right after Sir Stamford Raffles signed the paper granting "the British the right to establish a trading post on Singapore".

A closer, panoramic view of Boat Quay. Strangely, I have never ventured to Boat Quay for a drink or for meals. I think I did once for new year countdown but the pub is in a building at the back, not facing the river.

UOB Plaza; one of the tallest buildings in Singapore at the moment and I actually spent 3 months there as part of my polytechnic industry internship in 1999. 

White polymarble statue of Sir Stamford Raffles; technically the founder of modern Singapore and this location was chosen for the placement as it's the original landing site when he first arrived in Singapore. 

River cruise along the Singapore River. Since all Singapore citizens above 18 years old would receive S$100 worth of SingapoRediscovers vouchers; why not utilize it on a relaxing river cruise if you have yet to redeem them? After the heightened alert period, that is, since all tours are currently suspended. 

A relaxing moment. 

The Fullerton Hotel - at one time Singapore’s General Post Office, this 400-room heritage hotel looked imposing even from far away. Should I consider a staycation here? 

Asian Civilization Museum (ACM) - known as the Empress Place Building, I have only visited the ACM once in my life. Maybe it's time for a revisit since "permanent galleries are free for Singaporeans & Permanent Residents."

Cavenagh Bridge - the oldest bridge in Singapore to retain its original form, the 79.25-meter bridge is also the only historical, suspension bridge in Singapore. 

Mirror balls outside Asian Civilization Museum (ACM); the installation is known as 24 Hours in Singapore and you may read more about it here

Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall - I remember going for a performance in my teens and it was old, with wooden seats. Completed in 1905, this is Singapore's "oldest performing arts venue". There's actually another statue of Sir Stamford Raffles but this time, made of iron. 

Another underpass; by this time, Alex had given up as we had jogged beyond his limit of 5 kilometers, and I was wondering if I should push myself further. 

Decision was made to return to Parkroyal Collection Pickering. Above was Anderson Bridge - opened in 1910, 70-meter truss bridge was interesting because the space given for both vehicles and pedestrians was about the same width.

And don't you just love the classic lamps hung across the beams?! Just reimagine how life was like back in the early 1900s. I guess there would be buskers and hawkers around since this is also pretty near Johnston's Pier, the predecessor for Clifford Pier. 

One of the entrances for The Fullerton Hotel

Another view of Anderson Bridge; a morbid fact about the bridge was that during the Japanese occupation, "the severed heads of criminals were hung on Anderson Bridge as a warning to discourage citizens from breaking the law".

Once again, Cavenagh Bridge. A trivia about this 1869 bridge is that its conversion to a pedestrian bridge was not a recent development; that decision came into force in the late 1880s! 

Statues of traders in the good, old days. From their attire, it's not hard to know which races they were, respectively, although it stank of colonization when the whites were in control. 

This gigantic chick never fails to bring a smile to my face. Inaugurated in 1990, this was a sculpture by one of the most celebrated Latin American artist; Fernando Botero.

Boat Quay again; I was born too late as this area was said to be filthy and smelly before the 1980s. Must have been quite a sight then as Singapore is now known worldwide to be a "clean" city.

Quieter scene at Boat Quay. I still remember the days before the pandemic, when tourists and office workers would crowd the clubs, the pubs and eateries along this scenic stretch.

Back alleys of the shophouses; for a moment, I thought I said the word "blood" on top of the parking sign. Turned out it's a code for paying your parking fees online. Times have changed since I scrapped my car five years ago.

Finally, back to Parkroyal Collection Pickering
For review of my staycation, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment