Friday, June 18, 2021

Crab Man - Grilled Crab and Lamb Chop @ 341 Beach Road (Opposite The Concourse) [Singapore]

Sometimes, things happen for a reason and not necessarily a bad one. Early in May, before the heightened alert kicked in, I finally arranged to bring my parents to try the
grilled crabs at Happy Crab, knowing their love for the crustacean. Alas, it was not opened for business that day.

Thankfully, I remember from my staycation at Pan Pacific Serviced Suites (Beach Road) that there's another stall, a mere 2-minute walk away, that also sells grilled crab. It was closed too but unlike Happy Crab, it would start operating 15 minutes later, at 6pm! 

It's a battle between Happy Crab and Crab Man! To be honest, as far as service is concerned, both were exemplary and the friendly, elderly operators would actually come to your table and ask you if everything is okay. 

Mom was mildly surprised to see the tools provided for us to enjoy the crabs in a coffeeshop setting, and lamented that things like a box of tissue paper and pick fork might not even be readily provided by some seafood restaurants! 

It's not uncommon to see Singaporeans having chilli with crabs cooked without any sauce but to have wasabi would be a first for me; looking forward to the interesting combination.

Lamb Chop - a friend actually tried Crab Man before and she told me the grilled lamb chop was delish! Since I enjoy lamb and mutton, I decided to get one all for myself as my parents don't enjoy the gaminess of the meat. 

It was delicious! The seasoning brought out the sweet flavour of the juicy lamb and grilled so well; lightly charred with an enticing smoky aroma. A saucer of apple mint sauce would have made this perfect! 

Grilled Crab
- served on an aluminum wrapped platter and garnished with Chinese parsley, I ordered three; one for each of us. No carbohydrates for dinner as I brought my parents over for toast and coffee at the super old school Heap Seng Leong just an hour ago. 

Full of roes!! In the past, I am really not a fan and didn't understand why people would go crazy over the strange-tasting, high-cholesterol, mushy stuff that I initially thought to be the crab's brain juice. It's a different story now; I love it although that affection is limited to only crabs that were grilled. 

Similar to Happy Crab, the crab meat had a solid texture, sweet tasting with that irresistible seasoning that was delectable! Frankly, I prefer Crab Man. The operator actually shared his recipe; just steamed / boiled the crab beforehand, seasoned with salt, pepper, unagi sauce, and then grilled. 

To be honest, simple to him but not that easy for me! Anyway, eating the crab meat with wasabi was darn good - the unique 'spiciness' strangely enhanced the taste of the crab! 

Max satisfaction! My mom was asking when we can go again. Well, now that the government announced that dine-in is allowed for maximum 2 persons from 21 June; I guess we can always arrange for a crab session! 

=====

Address
341 Beach Rd, Singapore 199567
(Within Luk Lu Eating House)

Map
As above. 

Menu

As above. Aside from crabs and lamb chops, other items on the menu include large prawns, oysters and even foie gras. 

Pricing
Lamb Chop - S$6.00 each
Grilled Crab - S$40.00 each

Additional Information
Note for diners: there were a lot of small flies attracted to the 'remains' even though they were not your typical black houseflies. It's just that they were quite irritating towards the end of our satisfying meal. 

Any expert can identify what kind of flies they were? 

No comments:

Post a Comment