Monday, December 04, 2023

Mae Somjai Cafe & Toast in Bangkok [Thailand]

I wanted to bring Alex to On Lok Yun for breakfast but the queue was so insanely long; I decided to search for alternatives on Google Map, which brought me to a place 500 meters away.

Mae Somjai Cafe & Toast. Don't play play.
It has a google review score of 5.0. 

To be fair, there were only 17 reviewers. Not that it matters to me as all we wanted was just breakfast! The place was deserted at about 11.00 am but I guess their main clientele would likely be the students from the school opposite, which was still in session on a weekday. 

Always welcome the free provision of infused water.
Whatever the case, it's morning and I needed coffee.

The cafe served proper food like rice, spaghetti, salad but old, traditional us were craving toasts, with options for spread like chocolate, yusu jam, taro custard, strawberry jam, coconut custard, sugar and condensed milk. 

Coconut Custard (Pandan) Toast - with its light green color, I am thinking this would likely be a healthier version and my suspicion was right; it tasted less sweet although still pulsating with the nice aroma of pandan. 

Toast wise was crisp, albeit thicker and denser compared to Tee Yok. Overall, still not bad although Alex commented that we should have gone to Tee Yok. That's why it's hard to try new food with Alex when I am overseas! 

Sugar Toast - this should have been pretty foolproof. However, it's hard not to draw comparison with Tee Yok, which did better by having more margarine to give it a better tasting kick.

Very Thai Coffee - surprisingly not as sweet as I thought it would be. In addition to perking me up, I do like the taste of this coffee although I can't pinpoint why it was "very thai". Maybe I need to drink more coffee in Thailand. p.s. I usually don't because they put in a lot of condensed milk! 

===== 

Well, to be truthful, if I am looking for toasts, Tee Yok would be a better option. But, if I need a comfortable place to chill out, and maybe read a book, Mae Somjai Cafe would be a good option. 

Address
153 ถนน ตรีเพชร แขวง Wang Burapha Phirom, 
Phra Nakhon, Bangkok 10200, Thailand

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Coconut Custard (Pandan) Toast - 30 Baht
Sugar Toast - 25 Baht
Very Thai Coffee - 65 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment