Friday, December 22, 2023

Re Patisserie Cafe with Artisanal Desserts @ Johor Bahru in Malaysia

Compared to my usual haunts in Johor Bahru, this was at such a quiet and obscure location that I wondered if I had gone to the wrong place, although I am pretty confident of my ability to read maps! 

Despite the lack of a prominent signboard, I guess that the word "re:" refers to the dessert café I was looking for; Re Patisserie. Thanks to apps like Google Maps, the availability of pictures for the location makes it easier for us to know that we didn't lose our way. 

You know what I felt when I stepped into the sitting area? The whole concept appeared to be like a cavern with tall ceiling, uneven wall surfaces and even stalactites! 

A chill, private corner with some greenery. Due to the warm weather, I must say I was feeling extremely comfortable with the strong air-conditioning in the café. 

Even the handwashing area had that raw touch.
Absolutely loving the concrete sink; bet it's heavy!

The café jus started business for the day when we arrived and they were busy placing new pastries into the glass display. This Aloha artisanal tart looked so delish although I don't remember why we eventually didn't pick this.

Since there were three of us; each of us was given the free hand to chose our own dessert, albeit for sharing. As always, I relied on the recommendations from the staff and opted for Mac Face. 

Pastries; even though I was on a carbo-restricted diet regime and trying not to eat bread, where possible, I couldn't resist the sourdough morning bread with salted caramel! 

Autumn's Pear - drink from my cousin and I took a sip; unique and refreshing tea that had a layer of foam that made one mistake it as a beautified beer or a cocktail. 

Jardin Citron - orange was a tad too sour for my liking and as agreed by my cousin, the flavor was overpowering and covered the nice flavor of the pastry and the yummy base cream. 

Cyberpunk - I am not a huge fan of chocolate but this was said to be one of the popular choices. Chocolate used was said to be Madirofolo dark chocolate; and I have always preferred the use of milk chocolate in desserts.  

Bitter it sure was at first bite; however, the bitterness gave way to the nice creamy filling with a nutty flavor! Sadly, it ended with a sour, citrusy aftertaste that's likely from the grapefruit. Damn, I think I am not classy enough for artisanal desserts; the contrasting smiles and frowns drained me! 

Mac Face - best of the lot with varying textures from the nuggets of airy choux pastry, generous amount of dense nutty cream that worked as a marvelous spread, and a thin, crispy base! 

Sourdough Morning Bread - the staff warmed the bread for us and the result of a melty salted caramel covering the entire top of the bread. Let's take a bite to see how it fares.

Frankly, it tasted quite similar to the cinnamon rolls I baked although instead of cinnamon, you get the taste of salted caramel which wasn't a bad replacement, and the bread was fluffy just like my cinnamon rolls. White the artisanal tarts were the main draw of this café, I personally prefer this bread over the tarts! 

Whatever the case, Re Patisserie had good lighting and I unabashedly took a photograph while paying at the counter. Hm.... I think I need lip gloss! 

=====

Address
77, Jalan Kemuning, Taman Melodies, 
80250 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Pricing
Autumn's Pear - RM 18.00
Jardin Citron - RM 26.00
Cyberpunk - RM 26.00
Mac Face - RM 24.00
Sourdough Morning Bread - RM 9.00
(Subject to Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment