Thursday, December 07, 2023

Werng Crab Fried Rice (and Shark's Fin Soup) along Yaowarat Road in Chinatown, Bangkok [Thailand]

I looked at the food cart in front of me and then returned back to the google maps app on my mobile phone. Am I at the right place? Would this be Werng Crab Fried Rice? My eyes then veered over to Alex; it's a make or break decision heavily dependent on this guy. 

Seeing the pretty filled up tables and chairs, despite the location being far from the main night market at Chinatown further down the road, he sat down willingly. Phew.... Anyway, he was already pretty hungry and that likely contributed to his willingness to dine at this street stall. 

Impressive; just six dishes on the menu! It's good for an indecisive person like me; the lesser the choices, the easier, and the faster we can order, and eat. 

Only one chef helming the kitchen! I actually bookmarked Werng Crab Fried Rice for a long time, before the borders opened after the pandemic, as I like crabs and its review score of 4.4 was a draw. 

Our food; friends who know me well would be aware I am on a starch restricted meal and I don't usually have rice / noodles / bread for dinner. But, how not to eat fried rice when the name of the stall was Werng Crab Fried Rice!? 

Shark's Fin Soup with Crab Meat - I noted there was fish maw soup on the menu but our dear Alex preferred shark's fins! Whatever the case, I am alright with either, and I did like seeing a lot of coriander topping the soup! 

Watery was my first thought yet the peppery flavor was invigorating, and it had a lot of dried mushrooms that upped the taste! Many small pieces of shark's fins and the chunks of crab meat were plump. 

Fried Rice with Crab Meat - for the pricing of 100 baht, this was a simple, visually unexciting, plate of fried rice that outperformed many of its peers. The wok hei was rich and it was so delicious; we almost ordered a second plate! Maximum satisfaction, and to think that the price in Singapore could have just gotten me a plain fried rice, maybe even without prawns! 

=====

For sure I would be back again!
And next time, I will just go for fish maw soup. 
p.s. it's cheaper at just 100 baht too. 

Address
PGV3+QJC, Yaowarat Rd, 
Samphanthawong, Bangkok 10100, Thailand

Map
As above.

Pricing
Fried Rice with Crab Meat - 100 Baht
Shark's Fin Soup with Crab Meat - 300 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment