Sunday, December 24, 2023

Phed Mark - Serving Only Pad Kaprao / Spicy Basil Stir Fry near Ekkamai BTS Station in Bangkok [Thailand]

Mark Wiens is a popular blogger / vlogger known for his food and travel reviews, and when he opened an eatery with three partners serving just pad kaprao (stir fried basil with rice and meat); it immediately gained a lot of attention! 

Ever since I fell in love with this common Thai dish (thanks to Mixt Chatuchak Food Court), I had been wanting to check out Phed Mark given its rave reviews! The opportunity came when I visited Bangkok two months ago! 

Taking exit 2 of Ekkamai BTS Station, Phed Mark was just a 50-meter walk! So long you are walking on the pavement, you wouldn't miss the bright red-orange facade, and the noticeable mascot of a fire flame, that had a chilli and a basil leaf for his mouth, on the signboard.

Notice in Chinese although there's a similar one in English and Thai at the entrance. Basically, the ordering here required us to order from the counter first, pay, and if there is no seat inside, we would be given a queue number where the staff would call for once a table was released. 

Limited air-conditioned seating but I noted that people didn't linger after the meal. However, the fact that there were only so much tables meant it could still be a wait. I purposely dropped by after lunch peak, yet it was full house.

Menu wasn't extensive with only stir fried basil rice plus egg. You do have made some choices too; eight protein options, namely vegetarian, chicken, pork, sour pork, beef, wagyu, squid etc, and you are required to indicate the spicy level too, ranging from non spicy to very spicy! 

Our wait was bearable at just less than 10 minutes. 
Photograph was taken when we left after our meal.

I can't imagine there were covered bowls of extra chilli in sauce for those looking for an extra kick! What I did like was the provision of tissue paper to wipe the peals of sweat from the forehead. 

The power box outside the eatery was decorated with the mascot of Phed Mark too! So how does the name come about? Phed means spicy in Thai and mark had two meanings; it's the name of mark weins and mark is similar to mak, which much much. Hence, Phed Mark also infers very spicy. 

Pork Basil Rice - we asked for an extra fried egg as the Greatest Kon said it was the best thing ever! Just the look of their super orangey yolk was sufficient to kick up an appetite for any egg lovers! 

As this was for Alex, I specifically asked for non-spicy but there were specks of chilli in the minced pork. Strangely, it was indeed not spicy and I did love the nice flavor of basil and the delectable crisp edges from the pork! Only thing was that the minced pork didn't have much taste. The fried egg was perfect with an extremely rich yolk! p.s. duck eggs were used! 

Beef Basil Rice
- as I can take a bit of spiciness, I opted for little less spicy. While beef was more strong tasting, it wasn't as tender as the pork and overshadowed the basil flavor. Between pork and beef, I preferred pork although it could do with more seasoning. 

Spiciness from the little less spicy was just right for me as I was already sweating buckets halfway through, although I can't deny that my tongue was burning! Lousy me!  
 
=====

Can't finish the rice as my stomach was bursting! Alex didn't quite like the Pad Kaprao and there's no way I can help him finish his! To be honest, the Pad Kaprao was good. However, I preferred the one from Mixt Chatuchak Food Court, which also cost much lesser (50%). What I would miss most from Phed Mark would be the fried duck egg!  

Address
300 Sukhumvit Road, Phra Khanong, 
Khlong Toei, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
(near Ekkamai BTS Station)

Map
As above. 

Opening Hours
10.00 am till 7.30 pm
(last order at 7.00 pm)

Website

Menu
As above.

Pricing
P
ork Basil Rice - 129 Baht
Beef Basil Rice - 159 baht
Extra Duck Egg - 25 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment