Sunday, February 27, 2022

Dinner at Main Dining Room (Silk Restaurant) @ Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas (Cruise to Nowhere 2022)

In the August 2021 cruise, I managed to dine at three out of the four main dining rooms; namely, Chic, Icon American Grill and The Grande Restaurant

For my recent February 2022 cruise , it was almost exclusively at Silk restaurant! I mean, I was curious about its interior design and was looking forward to having my meals there, but not for almost every meal at the main dining room.

With blood red walls, I was expecting it to be an oriental setting with Chinese lanterns, wooden windows with carvings of dragons and phoenixes, although it turned out to be a mix of a few cultures. 

With references from the Chinese name of the restaurant, it actually referred to the silk road, for which was in essence a network of trade routes "spanning over over 6,400 kilometers" between the east and west; hence, the setting drew from Oriental, Indian, and the Middle Eastern. 

Since I am already here, might as well review the food. As I have had 'experience' based on August 2021 cruise, I roughly looked through the menu and knew there would be a few repeats.

Cheese Platter - that's a must and counted as one of the items I absolutely missed from Royal Caribbean. Since Alex is not a cheese eater and I can't finish all the cheese by myself, I requested for later meals to remove all the cheese except for the blue cheese, which I utterly love with the date chutney! 

Crispy Coconut Shrimp - nothing spectacular about the breaded shrimps; I was more impressed with the pineapple, red onion coleslaw which tempted the tasted buds at all fronts.

Classic Fish & Chips - when you see this on the menu and Alex is with you, chances are high that he would order this. Batter wasn't crispy and there was a slight tinge of fishiness; well, the fish and chips guru felt that it was still to his liking. Who am I to argue with the guru? 

Aged Prime Rib of Beef - said to be slow roasted, I think any beef lovers would find it hard not to order this. Doneness for me; medium. 

Although it might appear a tad too raw, the reality was that it wasn't bloody and the meat was tender. Taste wise, not fantastic but will do as a protein main with a flavor enhanced by the accompanying fruit-like sauce. 

Seasonal Fruit Medley - as expected, fruits to conclude the meal. In my review on Royal Caribbean for the August 2021 cruise, I kept emphasizing my love for the fruits! Strangely, the fruits for the recent cruise were disappointing; they were not as sweet! 

Apple Blossom a la Mode - I had this previously and didn't think it was worth a re-order. But since it's Alex's first time on Royal Caribbean, he opted for it and enjoyed his dessert. To be fair, his last cruise was on Dream Cruise and I had heard from quite a few friends that the food there was atrocious! 

=====

No comments:

Post a Comment