Thursday, February 03, 2022

Ipoh Tuck Kee - Moonlight Fried Horfun & Baby Octopus in Soy Sauce @ 51 Kopitiam in Hoa Nam Building (Jalan Besar)

Lavender Food Square was one of my favorite makan places before it was demolished to make way for the 16-storey ARC 380 commercial building. Even then, the area isn't forgotten since I do patronize the nearby Cheng Mun Chee Kee Pig Organ Soup occasionally.

Hoa Nam Building is no stranger too as its basement carpark would usually be empty and it was blessing when I used to have a car. I knew the old building, built in 1983, has some F&B outlets but never got to trying any of them, until the Great Kon mentioned about a famous horfun stall after a great meal at REPLYK1988

Ipoh Tuck Kee had its origins in Ipoh, Malaysia back in 1963 and this Singapore branch is helmed by the third generation. With photo of its original restaurant served as its main logo, I guess there should be some "quality" in the food. Let's check them out! 

As there were only Alex and I, I remember to order sparingly even though I was keen to try out its other wok-hei dishes like hokkien fried mee hoon, war tan hor fun etc. p.s. order and pay for your food first, and then wait for the pager to ring.

Wait was almost twenty minutes even though the stall didn't seem exceptionally busy! Nevertheless, my hungry tummy was cheering when I collected the plates of Moonlight Fried Horfun & Baby Octopus in Soy Sauce! 

Moonlight Fried Horfun - why do you think it has the word "moonlight" in the name? The answer should be obvious; the raw egg yolk somewhere in the middle would count as the moon! 

Let's mix up everything for consistency! The hor fun was quite dry in my opinion but the addition of a raw egg made it a bit more "saucy", the way I like when it comes to hor fun. 

Taste wise, I didn't feel that it was chockablock full of wok-hei although it was still a delicious plate of hor fun given the large pieces of crispy pork lard, slices of pork, prawns, and generous amount of minced garlic that added an irresistible layer of aromatic spiciness! Eat with green chilli for that extra oomph! 

Baby Octopus in Soy Sauce
- in normal times, if there were just two of us, I would never order this! But it was said to be highly recommended and was hoping it would be true; failing which, I would have to eat them ALL MY MYSELF! 

Infused by the light and slightly sweet soy sauce, and topped with fried garlic, these were appetizing nuggets of seafood that surprisingly, had a crunchy rather than rubbery texture! 

They tasted heavenly with the chilli and instead of my initial worry that I had to eat them all alone; the real situation was that I had absolutely no problem cleaning off the entire portion by myself. p.s. not big anyway.

To be honest, I can't wait to be back! 

=====

Address
27, Foch Rd, #01-02,
Hoa Nam Building, 
Within 51 Kopitiam,
Singapore 209276

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
11.00 am to 10.00 pm
(Closed between 2.30 - 4.00 pm)

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Moonlight Fried Horfun - S$8.50
Baby Octopus in Soy Sauce - S$8.00

No comments:

Post a Comment