Monday, February 14, 2022

Aburiya - Japanese Wagyu Yakiniku @ Boat Quay [Singapore]

Alex isn't a beef person and generally isn't keen to join me whenever I am craving for steak. However, he did remember patronizing a yakiniku place once at Boat Quay and declared that in Singapore; that would be the only place where you can get him to eat beef. 

We found it; Aburiya! Interestingly, the signboard didn't appear to have changed even though his last visit was more than three years ago! Oh well, I am not complaining since he was more than willing to give me a treat, and we know how expensive steak can be.

The interior; typical Japanese style although I was glad I didn't have to sit cross legged on tatami mats. I did that once a long time ago and it was torturing after I stood up! 

Scan to order; don't bother scanning the QR code as it's specific to each dine-in group. Fret not if you would like to check out the menu before visiting; visit the website here.

Standard package with order of the yakiniku! Complimentary water, free wet wipes etc. The mug of beer was chargeable; S$5.00 only since it's still happy hour (6-9pm from Mondays to Thursdays).

This came free too; no idea what it was but tasted like a beef jerky. One that wasn't as tough yet full of juicy beefy flavor; great to have with my Asahi Super Dry beer! 

Charcoal grill was ready for the meat! You know how people always complain that their clothes smell after a BBQ meal? I have had my fair share of experience and among the many restaurants; Aburiya has easily the best smoke absorber! Shall share more soon. 

Wagyu Jo Karubi
- I recalled having this at Yakiniku Go and decided to order one. To be honest, I am not that well versed in the different parts of beef but when it comes to grilling; my philosophy has always been the fattier / the more marbling the beef is, the more delicious it would be.

At S$16.00, each slice was worth S$4.00! Hence, I need to ensure it wasn't overcooked. As you can see from the second photograph, the vents surrounding the grille would suck up the smoke before it can escape! That's even better than the UFO smoke absorbers we see in mostly Korean bbq restaurants.

Lip smacking delicious! 

Wagyu Chunk Sirloin - at 200 grams, I was wondering how long this would take me to cook, and I bet there would be a much higher risk for me to burnt it. That would have been disastrous since this cost S$54.

Sauce dip consisting of soya sauce, yuzu kosho and wasabi. There were also a timer, steak fork and knife. I think the server did mention something about how many minutes per side but given I just had some beer; my hearing was severely compromised.

Nevertheless, let's attempt.

A waste of good meat; outside was a tad charred and inside was a bit too raw for Alex's liking. Still not too bad but it's a lesson learnt. 

Much better to slice up the second chunk first before throwing into the hot grille! Second attempt resulted in a way more even doneness that's medium well although karubi was still a notch higher on the taste ladder.

Kazoku Mori - the platter set that included wagyu short rib, wagyu loin, outside skirt, pork belly, pork cheek and sausage; a mix of beef and pork. 

Frankly, I kind of regretted ordering the platter. It may seem like a wonderful deal but there were just too much meat and with variety came preference; beef was definitely more preferable to pork and sausage just didn't impress.
 
Meal was still satisfactory and I bet we would be back to Aburiya, although our second time would likely focus on just their wagyu cuts, for which the restaurant is famous for. 

=====

Address
79 Boat Quay, 
Singapore 049867

Map
As above.

Website
https://www.aburiya.com.sg/aburiyaboatquay

Pricing
Wagyu Jo Karubi - S$16.00
Wagyu Chunk Sirloin - S$54.00
Kazoku Mori - S$50.00
Asahi Super Dry Beer - S$5.00 
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment