Sunday, February 13, 2022

Shi Xiang Satay (适香沙爹) @ Chinatown Complex Food Centre [Singapore] #chinatowncomplexhawkercentre

I love eating food that was grilled over fire despite numerous claims of them being carcinogenic, and one of my favorites would be satay! 

Shi Xiang Satay is located at Chinatown Complex hawker centre but at a hidden corner that most diners wouldn't have walked to. Even for me, I checked out the section only because of some craft beer stalls, and chanced upon the satay stall which appeared popular with a tray of satay sticks on most tables! 

Ordered five of chicken, five of mutton and ten of pork! Noticing that I was shooting away with my DSLR when I made the order; the stall owner informed me that he purposely displayed the sticks as above for ease of segregation, and likely for a different 'picture".

Satay gravy was the thick kind with pineapple puree in it! Those who love this version swore that the added fruitiness brought the peanut based sauce to a higher level and made it seemed less guilty too for the people indulging in this local skewered meat. 

Chicken Satay - sorry, didn't have an closeup shot as the photographs I took turned out blurry.  Anyway, the meat was tender and full of smoked spices that set it apart from its competitors.

Mutton Satay - the meat's hard texture should have rendered this as a failure but with every chew in my mouth; the juicy flavor of its delicious, marinated meat would seep out and it was irresistible! 

Pork Satay - I was looking forward to this and while I did enjoy; it was more meat than fats and I have always preferred a higher fat / meat ratio, like the kind from Xu Zhong Xing at Chong Pang. I did check out with the boss and he said it's more to cater for an increasing customer base that is getting more health conscious. 

Twenty sticks, gone! To be honest, I think the marination was different from other satay competitors; it seemed like more spices were added to set their satay apart from their competitors. By the way, Alex declared this as the best satay stall! 

=====

Address

335 Smith Street, #02-079, 
Chinatown Complex Food Centre
Singapore 050335

Map 
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Chicken Satay - S$0.70 each
Mutton Satay - S$0.70 each
Pork Satay - S$0.70 each

No comments:

Post a Comment