Saturday, February 26, 2022

Atas Turkish Kebab @ Fortune Centre [Bugis, Singapore]

I never knew Fortune Centre has such a big variety of food & beverage establishments; aside from vegetarian, you can also find Korean, Japanese, Chinese and in this case, Turkish restaurant. 

Atas Turkish Kebab (it sells more than just kebab) is located prominently on the ground floor of the ageing shopping mall but one thing that would catch your attention is its constant flow of customers into the shop.

By the way, those looking for classic Turkish desserts like Turkish Delight (I first heard about it from the movie, Chronicles of Narnia) would be pleased to note that you can also find it at Atas Turkish Kebab

Our group of five persons could only sit outside, which wasn't too bad an idea after dark. Only issue was that the lighting might be a little too poor for photo taking. 

Hummus Plate - while this was quite similar to the one I had at IstanBlue Meze & Grill near Sultan Mosque, there was one stark difference, aside from the portion.

This one from Atas Turkish Kebab had olives which had an interesting flavor that was kind of refreshing. I am not someone who has a liking for olive products but this reminded me of the first time I had Uggli Muffins, where the olive ones totally blew me away. 

Kebab with Butter Rice - I would have expected the rice to be sinfully flavored with the aroma of butter; yet, it wasn't so. In its stead was the healthy olive fragrance. Nevertheless, I had higher expectations for the meat, which turned out to be okay tasting, although not as juicy as they looked.

Falafel Plate -  my instant takeaway after seeing this dish is that it would likely be my favorite as I could hardly resist meatballs. Of course, I didn't know what falafel is.

The 'meatballs' contained no meat; they were actually "deep-fried balls made from chickpeas or fava beans, plus fresh herbs and spices"! Do I like them? Not really. 

Mixed Grilled Platter for Two - lightly seasoned, not strongly flavored; as usual, the mutton chop always appeals to me. Pretty good pricing at just S$45.00, although presentation could have been improved.

Moussaka
- I honestly thought my friend had wrongly ordered baked rice or maybe moussaka was a Turkish translation for baked rice! Containing eggplants and said to be a salad, this turned out to be the highlight of the meal.

Topped with delicious, melty cheese, this was a delight to have! And it helps that I am a huge fan of the mushy textured eggplants (otherwise known as aubergine / brinjals)!

Kunefe - for a moment, I thought this sounded more Egyptian than Turkish. From my prior experience with Turkish desserts, I am assuming this would have an unbearable sweetness! 

I must say it was another intriguing surprise; what I initially thought was shredded coconuts turned out to be kataifi (a mixture of flour, cornstarch, salt, oil, and water), with a layer of cheese that was soaked in a sweet syrup that brought joy to my taste buds in every bite! 

Burp!

=====

While not everything was well-loved, the Moussaka and Kunefe were highlights that I would return for in no time. Furthermore, the pricing didn't burn a hole in our pockets. For a satisfying Turkish meal for five big boys, we paid only S$19.36 per person, excluding drinks.

Address
190 Middle Rd, 
#01-10, Fortune Centre
Singapore 188979

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment