Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Traditional Sarawak Kolo Mee @ Northpoint City Mall (South Wing) in Yishun [Singapore]

While not commonly seen in the past, it appears that kolo mee has been gaining traction in recent years with quite a number of stalls offering the noodle style said to originated in the Eastern Malaysian state of Sarawak. 

At the not too far Northpoint city mall, there's a new eatery with a simple yet to the point name; "Traditional Sarawak Kolo Mee". Now, I haven't been to Sarawak; hence, I wouldn't be in the right position to determine the kolo mee's authenticity. 

Menu was relatively straightforward with just a few options. Signature was the premium kolo mee but I can't stomach the pricing of S$8.90 per bowl when I could get a bowl of decent Japanese ramen at Suparakki Ramen just one floor below, at about the same price. 

I opted for the classic instead at just S$6.50 but upgraded it to a set, which was essentially just for a drink. You can choose from traditional coffee (kopi), tea (teh) or cold drinks like luo han guo, water chestnut, wheatgrass, barley or lime juice.

Wheatgrass and Water Chestnut Drink - served cold, they tasted rather diluted but will do to quench the thirst on a hot, sunny day. I will not bother with the set in the future though since there are plenty of F&B outlets in Northpoint; i.e. the ten bubble tea shops.

Our sets! Two of the classic kolo mee; one for my mom and the other for me. Chilli paste would be self-serviced from the counter next to the cashier, where you get your cutleries. 

Classic Kolo Mee - Taking a big mouthful of the noodles; I don't know why but I have a insatiable craving for mee kia or mee poh recently! Unlike the kolo mee I had at Bendemeer; the egg noodle here was much tastier and I attributed it to the oily coating surrounding the noodle, which had that nice, pork lard aroma! 

Was expecting the fried dumpling to have a different filling as this was more the seafood paste dumpling; tasted alright and definitely can't match the similar seafood dumpling from Chop Hean Kuan Dim Sum.

Char siew was a surprise as this kind of lean meat char siew doesn't appeal to me; I like my char siew to have some fats. However, this was flavouful and even though it didn't have that sinful juiciness to excite my taste buds; it won me over with its tender texture (rare for lean char siew) and decent taste. 

For the pricing, I do think the owner was quite generous with the ingredients (including large pieces of crispy pork lard) except for one; there didn't seem to be enough of the noodles! And for someone craving for mee kia / mee poh, I didn't feel satisfied! 

Burp..... I was checking the google review for this branch and saw that it was at a dismal 2.3! Some appeared to encounter horrendous customer service. I didn't think it was fantastic when I was there but not to the extent for me to give a low rating. Maybe I was lucky.

=====

Address
930 Yishun Avenue 2, #B1-186,
South Wing of Northpoint City,
​Singapore 769098

Website

Pricing
Classic Kolo Mee Set - $7.50 each

No comments:

Post a Comment