Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Vacuum Packed, Ready to Eat, Stinky Tofu from Yue Hwa Chinese Products @ Northpoint Shopping Mall in Yishun [Singapore]

It's been only less a month since I blogged about the addictive sunflower seeds from Lao Jie Kou and I was already digging into my third 500-gram bag! And while going through the snacks at Yue Hwa Chinese Products @ Northpoint, I chanced upon a food product hated by many.

Vacuum packed, ready to eat stinky tofu! And from the pictures, it looked like the black style that originally hailed from the Chinese province of Hunan but could be found throughout China nowadays. Well, I decided to give it a try! 

Ingredient list for those who are worried about allergens. The brand is supposedly from 火宫殿 (Fire Palace) which is renowned from its black stinky tofu. In actual fact, I visited the restaurant and tried the stinky tofu when I was in Hunan back in 2009

My bag contained eight aluminum, vacuum-sealed packs. Given the thickness of the pack, it's a given that I wouldn't get the pieces of plump looking black tofu on the picture. Should this be sold in Japan, the Japanese would likely complain! 

Each pack had two pieces of stinky tofu and I caught a whiff of that faint yet sharp stench that's tamed by the an aroma comprising of chilli and pepper. As expected, the pieces were pressed thin, likely due to the vacuuming process. 

Taste wise, there were thankfully traces of "smelliness" although not on the level true stinky tofu connoisseurs would enjoy. 

I did find them a tad too peppery, spicy and salty (the spiciness lingered for a while) and thought they would go better with a bowl of plain porridge, instead of just eating them like a snack. As far as texture goes, don't expect a crispy shell with all the oil surrounding the tofu.

=====

Purchase From

Pricing
Stinky Tofu - S$3.80

No comments:

Post a Comment