Saturday, July 24, 2021

Kueh Ho Jiak (粿好吃) - Authentic Vegetarian Nanyang Delicacies @ Chinatown Complex Hawker Centre [Singapore] #chinatowncomplexhawkercentre

An attractive signboard is important as it creates an important first impression; I was drawn to the vibrant one at Kueh Ho Jiak (粿好吃) that I stepped closer to see what it had to offer. 

Now, stalls offering such traditional local kuehs are common and it's rare for me to buy as I didn't know what are nice and there's a need not to overbuy given that I shouldn't be eating so much kuehs at my age when metabolism is on a rapid decline! 

But the exposed ones (ondeh ondeh, kueh kosui and kueh ubi kayu) placed on wooden stools got me curious. The display menu indicated a set of four pieces for S$2.00, which isn't expensive, and upon clarification with the young lady manning the stall; we can mix and match (only for ondeh ondeh, kueh kosui and kueh ubi kayu)

This uniquely coloured kueh ho jiak ang ku kueh is supposed to be the stall's specialties but boring me preferred to go with the traditional ang ku kueh. Maybe after 16 August when dining in is allowed and I shall bring my mom to check it out again! 

My set of four pieces, all covered with freshly grated coconut; two ondeh ondeh (also known as sweet potato balls), one kueh kosui and one kueh ubi kayu (steamed tapioca cake). 

Ondeh Ondeh - even though the skin was thick, it balanced well with the rich and gooey gula melaka (palm sugar) that oozed out immediately upon bite. Thankfully, it didn't spurt out as that would have been so wasteful! 

Ubi Kayu - soft texture that would have won hearts with the older generation and I like that it wasn't overly sweet; I could even catch two small pieces of yam! 

Kueh Kosui - I thought it's best to show you the video on the kueh's softness and bounciness! Texture aside, my personal opinion is that the sweetness can be increased slightly as it was a tad bland for my palate. 

Traditional Ang Ku Kueh - it's interesting to note that I don't really enjoy this Chinese kueh when I was younger; hence, taste buds do change as we get older and nowadays, I prefer the mung bean paste over the peanut for filling. 

So how did this fare? Skin was too thick and while there was a lot of mung bean paste within, the texture was dry and the taste was relatively normal. And I had two to ingest as Alex wasn't keen and this was after having mee siam, chee cheong fun and butterfly bun in the same hawker centre! 

=====

Address 
Block 335, Smith Street, #02-149, 
Chinatown Complex Food Centre, 
Singapore 050335

Map
As above.

Menu 
As above

Pricing
Set of 4 - S$2.00
Traditional Ang Kueh Kueh - S$2.00 (3 pieces)

No comments:

Post a Comment