Tuesday, July 27, 2021

The 'Poison' from Don Don Donki in Singapore

I am a fan of Don Don Donki Singapore and there was this fan page I subscribed to on Facebook that would share interesting products sold in the Japanese discount chain store. 

Since circuit breaker last year, I recalled an increasing number of postings on a soufflé roll said to be so amazing; it was given an 'affectionate' nickname, Poison. The popularity skyrocketed and every time the cake was replenished, fans would quickly inform on the branch that it was found. 

Given the adoration by many, I was tempted to try and only managed to get my hands on one pack last week at the 100 AM branch, after a search lasting a few months! Actually, I did manage to secure the chocolate one but it didn't impress; hence the continuous search for the original, plain 'poison'.

At S$7.90, it's not cheap but you have to note its country of origin; Japan, and things imported from the country of the rising sun are never that cheap, except for those in Daiso (and even then, not everything is cheap)! Ingredient list as above in case anyone of you is interested. 

Apology for the torn 'skin' as I didn't realize it was that delicate, although I have never been explicitly known as a gentle person. So what was the first thing that stood out?

The incredibly amount of cream in the middle! How could there be so much cream?! To be honest, I bake pretty good swiss roll, which is similar to soufflé roll, and while it's visually appealing to fill up more regardless of whether it is buttercream, whipped cream, cream cheese); it can be cloying for the palate.

And my verdict after trying the 'poison'? Once is enough. True, the sponge cake was light, fluffy with a thick texture and an expected eggy flavour that tasted relatively nice. Cream was just too excessive even though it wasn't insanely sweet, which was a good thing.

I had to remove most of it as it was quite sickening to have so much cream swirling around in my mouth. In my humble opinion, I think the swiss rolls I baked were better, and I do enjoy cream cheese filling better. 😊😊😊

4 comments:

  1. You should try the ones from Meidiya under Monteur brand. Much cheaper and also made in Japan. Very light cream and fluffy rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:03 AM

    I went to try it after reading your review and OMG I LOVED ITTTT HAHA. I love their cream. The fresh whipped cream that cakes always use. Super tasty. And their cake texture are even more flavorful than Chateraise! The cream is on the thick side but no as milky

    ReplyDelete