Thursday, July 08, 2021

Yuen Cheng Fried Carrot Cake (源成菜头粿) - Black & White @ Telok Blangah Hawker Centre #telokblangahhawkercentre

For my June staycation in Sentosa, I was mindful of the high food prices on the touristy island and decided to jog to mainland Singapore one morning to secure a cheap breakfast! 

As Seah Imm Hawker Centre could not meet my 5km requirement for a jog, I had to venture westwards, to Telok Blangah Hawker Centre; don't think I have revisited the food centre ever since the car was scrapped more than five years ago.

In the past, I would make a beeline for the famous Hong Ji Mian Shi Jia but I decided to try a new stall today. Yuen Cheng Fried Carrot Cake seemed popular with a queue and although black carrot cake is my favorite, I opted for black and white instead.

Wait wasn't insane, thank goodness, and I didn't impose my regular requirements when it comes to carrot cake; i.e. extra black sauce and make it extra crispy. 

Kind of regretted not imposing those requirements; overall, the taste was above average with the  white carrot cake performing a tad too bland for our taste buds. 

Pieces were relatively larger, edges could do with more crispiness and texture, while soft, couldn't match to Song Zhou Fried Carrot Cake @ Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre which, I feel, had the best carrot cake texture in the whole Singapore. As for the black style, I still enjoy the one in Yishun better. 

There were things I like from Yuen Cheng though; they were generous with the eggs and plenty of spring onions were sprinkled onto the carrot cake. 

=====

Address
79 Telok Blangah Drive #01-33, 
Telok Blangah Drive Food Centre,
Singapore 100079

Map
As above.

Pricing
Black and White Carrot Cake - S$3.00

No comments:

Post a Comment