Monday, June 03, 2024

Restoran Yit Foh Wanton Noodles near KSL Mall at Johor Bahru [Malaysia]

I often told my friends that it is faster for me to visit Johor Bahru (JB) in Malaysia than to go to Suntec City, and I guess this advantage had resulted in me staying over at JB for staycations frequently in the past year.

My choice of hotel in JB is always KSL Hotel and Resort for its convenience, and since I do walk around the area; I couldn't help but notice this coffee shop. Restoran Yit Foh which focuses on one of my favorite local dishes; wanton mee! 

Interior - we were lucky as a table of customers just left! Anyway, this was strongly recommended by a friend but there is a disclaimer here; she said the noodles tasted way better when they were for takeaway (tabao). 

Whatever the case, we were prepared for freshly made noodles and Ms Wee helped to take our orders, make payment at the counter, and bring back this order number display for ease of delivering by the waiter / waitress.

Iced Kopi - frankly, this was a tad too milky and sweet for my liking. Only saving grace was the pile of ice that made this extremely comforting under the hot weather! 

Beancurd Sheet and Prawn Cake - well, the fried beancurd sheet tasted as it should and didn't result in any shocking revelation to make this a must-eat. I was more keen to try the prawn cake.

It's known as prawn cracker in Singapore and this one featured a thinner texture that contributed to a crispier bite. I was expecting one with larger prawns and had more satisfying filling underneath that crispness, but this would do as a snack. 

Wanton Noodle - visually, this appeared unappetizing, especially the pale-looking char siew that couldn't awake my appetite! Noodles also seemed to deviate from the mee kia I am more accustomed to; it looked more like the noodles from ramen! 

After a good mix, it's time to slurp in the noodles for that very first impression! For one, the noodles tasted okay; just that the overall flavor was on the bland side and the sauce coating the noodles failed to up the taste. p.s. char siew really cannot make it. 

My friend did mention she always orders with chilli! While I wasn't sold on the wanton noodles, I must admit the wantons were nice; meaty with thin skin. 

=====

Address
153, Jalan Harimau, Taman Abad, 
80250 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Iced Kopi - RM 3.00 
Beancurd Sheet - RM 5.00
Prawn Cake - RM 3.50 for 1
Wanton Noodle - RM 8.00 for small

No comments:

Post a Comment