Thursday, June 06, 2024

世纪住家云吞面 - Mouthwatering Wanton Noodles near KSL Shopping Mall @ Johor Bahru [Singapore]

For many Singaporeans, wanton noodle used to be a breakfast and lunch dish although over the years, it became available even for dinner. What I didn't expect to hear was a highly-rated wanton mee stall at Johor Bahru (JB) that only operates from 6pm! 

Despite being a frequent patron of KSL shopping mall, I admit this was the second time I am walking along this stretch of road that's usually heavy of traffic. I didn't have a choice given the location of the wanton mee stall.

Here we were; right in front of the stall that looked more like a home! It's indeed a home-based business, and it had such limited tables for dine-in customers. Thankfully, we managed to secure a small table.

One with full view of the cooking process! Not that it matters to me as I am one foodie who is more concerned with the resulting taste than the step-by-step actions to achieve the result.  

What's one thing that had changed from my childhood? I am way happier to see pickled green chilli now as biting into a piece with a mouthful of noodles provided so much pleasure! 

Homemade Soya Milk - so it was claimed. Served cold in a pack, this had the homemade feel; thick and with noticeable remnants. Not that I enjoyed it, although I did welcome the light sweetness. 

Fried Wantons - freshly out from the boiling oil, these golden nuggets featured thin, crispy skin that had juicy meat filling. An addictive snack, they were! 

Wanton Mee - my intention was to have desserts later; hence, the decision to go for small. At RM 8.00, I was surprised to see a rather decent portion, with a request for more pork lards! 

Even without the appealing charred bits and fatty parts, these pieces of char siew didn't taste too bad. Two things for sure, both the taste and color of the char siew won the ones I had at the nearby Yit Foh Wanton Noodles restaurant
 
Now coming to the noodles; there were options for black and white, with the latter being the signature one for the home-based stall. You can't really see from the picture but I tell you; the strands of noodle were thickly coated with lard oil and boy were they amazingly delicious! 

Al dente and slurpy, the best combination obviously was to have a spoonful of the noodle with a piece of crispy pork lard, and a slice of pickled green chilli. One word: heaven! I totally regretted not going for the bigger portion. 

=====

Address
326, Jalan Dato Sulaiman, Taman Abad, 
80250 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Pricing
Wanton Noodle - RM 8.00
Total - RM 36.00 which included two bowls of noodles, two drinks, one serving of fried wantons, and three braised chicken feet.
(Cash Payment Only)

No comments:

Post a Comment