Sunday, June 02, 2024

A Bustling Outdoor Wet Market in the Ancient Town of Hoi An @ Vietnam

The day had barely just break when I started my morning jog at Hoi An. The temperature was cooling and as I navigated through the empty roads, lanes and alleys; a hive of activity appeared and I slowed down my pace for a better look!

Turned out to be a bustling wet market! You know what I thought of at that moment of time? This would be suitable for my mom and elder sister, who always wake up very early and enjoy going through local wet markets when they are overseas.

It's honestly quite a surprising sight since this area was much in the centre of the ancient town, next to the river, and it contrasted with the streets I had been jogging on, that were pretty much devoid of much human activity 

Unlike Singapore, where raw meat had to be stored in fridges, it was an open-for-all concept here. Quite appalling to have the stuff chicken feet, with intact nails, pointing to the sky. 

Fresh chickens were also available! 

Seeing these baskets of prawns made me salivate; bet they would be delicious when boiled /  steamed! Lazy individuals would be happy to note that de-shelled raw prawns were also for sale. 

As you can see from the above photograph, touristy trinkets and local souvenir stalls were also open; to capture the curious tourists who visited this outdoor wet market that appeared to be for the locals. 

Enticement of the fresh fruits! As some of you are aware, I am a fruit lover but I am always afraid of being scammed when I am overseas; given my poor grasp of the local language. It would be slightly more helpful if the prices were clearly displayed...

Another thing I noticed from this outdoor wet market would be the amount of stuff that were displayed so close to the floor. Aside from the fact that the hawkers would have to crank their head up whenever there is a customer, I am more concerned with another issue.

Pollution; Motorcycles continued to weave along the road flanked with fresh produce, and it's not hard to see the exhaust pipes blowing out polluted air onto those raw vegetables, meats, fruits, flowers, and the hardworking hawkers! 

=====

Location
Literally outside Cho Hoi An
Along Đường Bạch Đằng. 

No comments:

Post a Comment