Monday, February 19, 2024

Last Day of of My 7-Day Trip to Hanoi @ Vietnam

Starting my last morning in Hanoi, with a walk around Hoan Kiem Lake and soaked in the sights of the abandoned turtle tower right in the middle. No jog as I just wanted to enjoy my final moment in the Vietnam's capital city.

Mixue - the popular ice cream and iced tea brand from China that had sprouted many branches all over Southeast Asia. In China alone, it was said to have 22,500 stores! I have yet to try its products but friends didn't appear to have great reviews.

The Jeep tour; a friend who went after my trip told me that was one of her highlights! I did see the tour when I was doing some research but we thought it's more flexible for us to explore on our own. 

My key objective that morning was to check out Ngoc Son Temple, also known as Temple of the Jade Mountain. I strolled past, jogged past every day in Hanoi and this shall be my first time entering the century-old religious abode that charged an entrance fee.

Highlights of the temple that differ from the rest of the temples I visited in Hanoi; the iconic vermillion-red The Huc Bridge and the two specimens of turtle that were found dead in Hoan Kiem Lake, lending some legitimacy to the legend of the famous lake. 

Ticket pricing wasn't exorbitant; 30,000 dong for an adult, which was less than S$2.00! And it's quite a small temple, so you wouldn't be able to spend hours there, unless you are doing academic research. 

Alluvia Chocolatier had yet to open.
Click here to check out my post on it! 

A regret in Hanoi - I never had a drink at Bon Sky Bar, and it's a pity since the bar was on top of Bonsella Hotel, where I stayed for the past six nights! 

A booth that I also walked past frequently - Hanoi City Bus Information Centre! 

Offering open top double decker bus with a 30-minute frequency and unlimited get-on-get-off for 4 hours (300,000 dong), 24 hours (450,000 dong) and 48 hours (650,000 dong).

More information on the stops for your reference. I would think this was quite worth it for the experience although impatient me likely wouldn't be able to endure the 30-minute wait. Grab was more convenient.  

The Note Coffee again; its beauty lies in the insides! 
Just walk in for a much better visual treat.

Last look of Hoan Kiem Lake before I checked out of our room at Bonsella Hotel. The island in the center of the photograph would be Ngoc Son Temple.

Got banh mi from Xoi Banh Mi Kim Huong as takeaway! It didn't escape my eyes that its reviews on Google Map was a perfect score of 5.0! I needed to find out how good it really was. Click here for my review. 

Taking the airport transfer that we secured from Bonsella Hotel; 350,000 dong in a private car. The photo above was the facade of Saint Joseph Cathedral.

GRAB delivering large bouquets of flowers! 
Instead red roses, the roses were pink and yellow.

Journey was expected to be about 30 minutes. 

Nhật Tân Bridge (also known as Vietnam–Japan Friendship Bridge); open in 2015, the five "towers" symbolizes the five ancient gates of Hanoi.


The vehicle for our airport transfer. The driver was a young chap who didn't appear to speak any English. I sometimes prefer a chattier driver so that I can add the contact for potential private rental the next time I visit the place.

Our luggage - heng, not overweight although almost maxing! 

A friend got this calligraphy at Ngoc Son Temple
I am not going to translate because it's vulgar! 

What to expect at the departure hall of Noi Bai International Airport Terminal 2? You would find more photographs in this separate post I generated.

Arrival of our Scoot plane

Taking a zoomed-in photograph of the pilots. Some people wondered if the pilots purposely wore sunglasses to look cool. Reason was because they really need to shield from the sun, especially when plane was flying at high altitude! 

Time to board.

Just wondering, pilots would have no contact with airport ground handlers and maintenance staff at all right? It's not like when we service our cars; we can still chit chat with the maintenance guys.

Long queue; nowadays, I would sometimes wait till the last moment to step in, especially when I have no extra items to be stowed away in the overhead compartments, What's the point of going in so early?! Your seat will not run away and once you are inside the plane, network connection sucks! 

4 minutes later, I was only about to reach the cabin door.

Would that be our fuel? Now that Singapore just announced that all airlines must use sustainable fuel, I am guessing we would see higher air tickets very soon. Well, I think I will stick to travelling within Asia, maybe even just Southeast Asia. 

An unknown insect on the window! 

The different airlines in the airport. 
Maybe I should consider Vietnam Airlines in the future! 

Would love to try propeller planes some day. Firefly does fly from Seletar Airport to Subang Airport but our dear Alex isn't keen as he deems them as more dangerous. :(

Up in the air! Do you know that I didn't see any clear blue sky ever since I landed in Hanoi seven days ago!? It had been cloudy and hazy and god was it liberating to have the blueness right outside the plane.

Lock had the whole row, where he could even stretch his legs! 

Land spotted; make a guess on where the plane was. It's already quite near to Singapore and the last time I visited this place was before the darn pandemic started in 2020.

Sultan Mahmud Ri'ayat Shah Mosque on Batam Island! 

I was quite impressed with the Pulau Lengkang Kecil as it reminded me of Panyee Island (Ko Panyi) - The Muslim Village on Stilts @ Phang Nga Bay near Phuket.

Fantasy Island of Batam; this had the Maldives vibe! Just 16 kilometers from Singapore, this was envisioned to be the "world’s largest eco theme park". However, the company developing it was said to be under liquidation. Hence, god knows if it would become an abandoned project; a great pity! 

The all too familiar Singapore's skyline and HDB landscape! Last photograph appeared to show a rather large field filled with solar panels. Whatever the case; I so miss unhealthy Singapore food! 

Nowadays, it's an immediate walk to the taxi queue after taking our luggage, despite the airport surcharge, which is priced at S$8 now, if I recall correctly. But, I just want to go home fast fast to unpack! 

The amount of Vietnamese goodies that I brought back... I really need to cut down on my future purchases and concentrate on just a few key ones instead of such a variety.


=====

No comments:

Post a Comment