Thursday, November 09, 2023

Oyster Station - Near Jonker Street @ Melaka in Malaysia

By myself, I admit that I will do some research before stepping into a new dining establishment when I am overseas. In this case, at Melaka, I just followed wherever my sister and brother in law brought me to since they have been to the Malaysian UNESCO city countless times! 

Frankly, Oyster Station isn't a place I would step in willingly since I don't eat oysters. And I just realized it had a super low score on Google; like 2.5. Bet this would be the lowest scoring dining establishment I have ever dined at.

It did have one advantage; air-conditioning, which was super important when the weather was so hot! Without much trees, it can be so much hotter in Melaka, compared to Singapore. 

Aside from oysters, Oyster Station also served many fried / grilled seafood dishes and also other food from the stalls outside their dining area. You can't just bring in outside food and ordering must be from within the dining area.

Oyster with Lemon - I am not a fan of oyster but both my sister and brother in law are! The oysters looked plump and I guess fresh since both of them had been to oyster station before. At RM 25 for 3, I am unsure if this is a good pricing. 

Oyster Egg - small serving and without much of the oyster flavor. Granted there were more eggs than flour but it's definitely a fail for oyster egg. And serving food on plastic plates cheapened the experience. 

Fried Carrot Cake - this had the same taste as the oyster egg; albeit spicier. I never have good experience with fried carrot cake at Jonker Street; the one I had in 2013 was terrible. This was worse.

Grilled Big Shrimp with Salt and Pepper Garlic Sauce -  looking more like baby lobsters than shrimp, I wasn't impressed. The salt and pepper garlic sauce overwhelmed the palate and while nice; I am better off just slurping the sauce since the meat of the shrimp hardly matters. 

Fried Lala with Ginger and Garlic - this was the very first dish I found to be good. The garlic was strong yet it complemented with the salted, seafood sweetness from the lala meat. This would have been perfect when pair with a bottle of iced cold beer! 

Fried Squid with Sambal - squid was unfortunately rubbery as the I loved the uniqueness of the sambal which had a curry fragrance and absolutely addictive! 

Shanghai Mini Fried Bun - don't ask me why we ordered this as I couldn't remember. However, I am glad we did as these mini buns were delightful. Compact with a crispy bun and deliciously juicy meat fillings within, the only issue I faced was that they were not piping hot when served.

=====

Would I be back? To be honest, I don't think so. Prices were not great, ambience was noisy with air-conditioning and being able to sit while eating being the two biggest advantages. Even if I do like the Shanghai Mini Fried Buns, I would maybe buy from the stall outside and eat while I walk along Jonker Street. 

Address
70, Jalan Tokong, 
75200 Melaka, 
Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Oyster with Lemon - RM 50 for Six 
Oyster Egg - RM 13.00
Fried Carrot Cake - RM 7.00
Grilled Big Shrimp with Salt and Pepper - RM 38 for Two
Fried Lala with Ginger and Garlic - RM 15.00
Fried Squid with Sambal - RM 38.00
Shanghai Mini Fried Bun - RM 12.00

2 comments:

  1. tropicalbelt8:47 PM

    Lala looks good. hope they are plump and without any sand in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they tasted good but I wouldn't say good enough to warrant a revisit, given the rest of the dishes (except for Shanghai Mini Fried Buns) were hardly impressionable in a positive way.

      Delete