Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Peeled Roasted Chestnuts @ Chinatown Yaowarat in Bangkok [Thailand]

Chinatown in Bangkok, also known as Yaowarat, is well-known for its food street when night falls between Tuesdays and Sundays. Aside from seafood, the other item commonly sold was roasted chestnuts! 

I love roasted chestnuts and the prepacked versions just can't find those that were freshly roasted. However, there is a disadvantage - the outer shells are so hard to peel, and if you are down on luck; the 'nuts' within might turn out to be not fully cooked, or rotten. A great disappointment after all the hard work! 

Here's the moment I would like to introduce you to this makeshift stall that I had been patronizing for my past two visits to Bangkok. The quality of chestnuts was so good; I was tasked to haul one kilogram back to Singapore for my dearest mom! 

Like mother, like son; my mom doesn't enjoy peeling roasted chestnuts, and this particular stall had the added advantage, of peeled, roasted chestnuts! Nowadays, more stalls offered the same service but me being a loyal customer means I am happy going back to this same stall.  

What I did in my recent visit was to order from the friendly aunties, who spoke Teochew, before breakfast at Tee Yok Coffee - Klongthom, and then return to collect on my way back to Hotel Royal Bangkok. p.s. Hotel Royal Bangkok is our preferred stay at Chinatown! 

Loving them and regretting not buying an extra kilogram so that I can slowly divulge once I am back in Singapore! Well, maybe I can steal a few when I am back to my parents' place for dinner tomorrow. 

=====

Location
At the corner of Pichaiyat Building, that had a Lotus supermarket. Intersection of Yaowarat Road and Mangkon Road in Bangkok, Thailand. Refer to blue arrow. 

Pricing
500 grams - 160 Baht
1 Kilogram - 320 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment