Tuesday, November 07, 2023

Breakfast at Kedai Minuman Siang Chiang (香江茶室) @ Melaka [Malaysia]

It's a clear objective; breakfast at Nyonya Secrets in Melaka. But, I mistook the opening hour and we were about an hour early! Never one to give up, our eyes veered over to across the road. 

A coffee shop that commanded a queue attracted our attention and since my family can be pretty adventurous; we decided there and then to join the line!

Whole coffee shop was packed with hungry diners; a surprising scene given that the entire area was pretty quiet with not much cars and people walking around. 

Our wait was only about 15 minutes although I can understand why. Diners honestly didn't have the luxury of space to relaxingly sip their cup of nanyang kopi; I was bumped at quite a number of times and I guess you would get guilt-trip when you see the line of customers waiting under the sun. 

We split up to get what we would love to try! I was in charge of drinks and aside from the order, the only thing I needed to remember was the table number! Food and drinks came fast and fury; within 10 minutes.

Half Boiled Eggs
- I am no fan of half boiled eggs when I am overseas given how sensitive my guts are Alex and my mom were big fans though and judging from the photo, I must save they appeared really good. What are your favorite condiments for them? Mine would be dark soya sauce and pepper! 

Kaya Butter Toast - this would be the one I can't resist and would order, even though I have had my fair share of disappointment in Malaysia. Something is always off; the aroma of bread, the sweetness of the kaya, the unappetizing butter etc. 

This would be one of the better ones; thinly sliced, light crisp texture, thick and cold butter that was delightful and custardy kaya that screamed of tasty creaminess! 

Laksa - my mom's choice. Personally, laksa is seldom my top choice when it comes to meals. Only exception was the the Yishun 928 Laksa next to Northpoint City shopping mall. 

I stole a few bites from my mom; laksa was full of dried shrimp flavor and while spicy; it was not as creamy as expected. My mom enjoyed the bee hoon whereas I am more a thick bee hoon person when it comes to laksa.

Kolo Mee -  my breakfast, in addition to the kaya toast! First look and I knew the char siew wouldn't be the kind I like. When it comes to kolo mee, however, it's the texture of the noodles that really matters. 

And I must say the curly noodles were delicious with a QQ texture. I bet the noodles were also smothered with lard oil! I could just eat the noodles by themselves, with maybe a splattering of crispy pork lard. Delish! 

=====

If you are in Melaka and want to have a variety of local breakfast, I bet this would be a good option for you! p.s. I didn't mention about the coffee as my kopi gao was a tad sour. Maybe I should have just gone with normal coffee. 

Address
59, Jalan Munshi Abdullah, 
75100 Melaka, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Half Boiled Eggs - RM 1.80 each
Kaya Butter Toast - RM 2.80 a set
Laksa - RM 7.00
Kolo Mee - RM 7.00

No comments:

Post a Comment