Saturday, November 11, 2023

Loving Uncle Lim Happy Popcorn from Melaka in Malaysia

While walking along Jonker Street on 7 October 2023, I caught a whiff of that familiar popcorn aroma that we commonly find in cinemas, and as I strolled past, the operator gave me a small saucer dish of samples, containing about 4-5 flakes. 

I was hooked and bought a jumbo bottle from this Uncle Lim Happy Popcorn makeshift stall; commenting to my mom that I would share half with her. By the time I passed the bottle to her, with a much heavy heart as I really didn't want to; it was only about 15% filled.

Since then, I had been on a lookout for the Uncle Lim popcorn; to the extent of messaging its Facebook page to check if the popcorn is available in Johor; the Malaysian state nearest to Singapore! Apparently, they don't maintain a stall although there are the occasional popup events that they might participate in Johor.

Waiting is a virtue and my wait wasn't in vain! Uncle Lim Happy Popcorn posted on their page that they would be there for Chill Day Night Market at Eco Spring and I resolved to get in and finally get my hands on those incredibly good popcorn! 

Note that Chill Day Night Market at Eco Spring is only available till Monday, 13 November 2023, and even though official operating hours start from 4pm, the market came alive only at about 6pm. I was actually there at 4.30 pm but this gigantic inflatable bottle of popcorn was nowhere to be found.

At 6pm, the inflatable was up but the popcorn wasn't ready! By the right, the bottles of popcorn were not made somewhere and then delivered to the stall.

They were made fresh on the spot by this friendly Peranakan Baba who had to cool down the popcorn before packing them into the bottles! I was almost on the verge of just putting my hands in and taking a few flakes to curb my almost month-long craving.

Want to guess the pricing for the popcorn? 
Make a guess on how much each jumbo bottle cost. 

It's one for RM 22 and two bottles had a promotional bundle price of RM 38. Based on current conversion rate, one jumbo bottle (under bundle) cost just S$5.50! 

Don't judge me... I purchased four jumbo bottles! Would have loved to secure more to share with family and friends but it's a hassle without a car! According to the baba, expiry is one month and you don't have to put them in the fridge. p.s. first thing I did was to open up one bottle and take a few flakes! 

My four jumbo bottles after lugging them back to Singapore! Putting up my Oasis branded stainless steel water bottle on the left for comparison. 

Attractive pricing aside, what I enjoyed most from Uncle Lim Happy Popcorn was that the flakes were always so crispy and the flavor, while having a caramelized sweetness, wasn't cloying, and had a tinge of saltiness. They were so addictive; I literally had to stop myself from constantly putting my hands into the bottle! 

=====

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/UncleLimHappyPopcorn for there latest update on where you can buy their delicious popcorn. Only place you can find them easily would be at Melaka although you can also purchase through Shopee at elevated pricing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment