Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Chao Phraya Sky Park near Chinatown in Bangkok [Thailand]

For my recent trip in Bangkok (February 2023), I purposely stayed at Chinatown so that I am closer to all the food options. The problem is that the area doesn't have a big enough park for jogging, like
Lumpini Park although it's a blessing in disguise as I managed to explore new places in my daily jog! 

There was supposed to be a Chao Phraya Sky Park and while I did follow the directions; I found myself on the walkway bordering the Phra Pok Klao Bridge. My destination was that elevated walkway on the right.

Eventually found the correct path up to the sky park. I shall share more about its official entrance (from Chinatown side) later. Anyway, there's a lift for those with mobility difficulties.

Chao Phraya river on my right! 

I went at about 9.00 am and the sun was already so high up in the sky! The key draw for visitors for the skypark would be the sunset view, which I was keen to check out but didn't have the time to do so in my trip.

The Memorial Bridge; also known as Buddha Bridge, this opened in 1932, it is supposed to be a bascule bridge where it can 'open up' to allow ships to pass through, although this function is no longer used. 

At the other end of the bridge, the Thonburi end. In terms of history, the Thonburi area is older as it was the capital of the Thonburi Kingdom under King Taksin before King Rama I moved it across the Chao Phraya river.

Should I stay at the other side of the river for my next Bangkok trip? There were quite a number of places I have saved on Google; like Lhong 1919, Guan Yu Shrine etc. Aside from Wat Arun and ICONSIAM, the other place I had visited across the river was Bangkok's famous Death Museum 

Some shelter if it rains.

Wat Arun; the temple of dawn! I was aiming for a stay at one of those hotels with a direct view of the temple so that I can take a time-lapse at sunrise and sunset but the price was a bit too high for my budget. And I hate changing hotels.

What else can you spot from the above photograph?
The silhouette of King Power Mahanakhon

Chao Phraya Sky Park was originally a structure for electric train line but the project was abandoned when the company faced financial difficulties. That was in 1992 and the idea to turn it into a park resulted in its completion in 2020, year of the global pandemic.

With the traffic of Phra Pok Klao Bridge on your side, this sky park stretched for 280 meters with a maximum width of 8.5 meters. The railings are quite high at about 2-3 meters high.

Scariest and most popular section of the sky park would be the elevated platforms; former because you can literally jump onto the road if you are bent on killing yourself and latter due to its higher angle to capture photographs and video without the ugly railing blocking the view.

On my way back! 

I am going through the proper way in case you intend to also drop by the Chao Phraya Sky Park. Do note that my entry would be from the Chinatown area, and not Thonburi.

No wonder I couldn't find the official way! 
This dirt path would have put me off! 

Well, hopefully it's some renovation that would spruce up the place and would be completed in due course. In the event it isn't completed, just note this entrance across from Osathanond Bridge; enter from the direction of the red arrow. Weird, I agree.

Time-lapsed video for viewing pleasure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment