Thursday, April 13, 2023

Quan Nem Restaurant - Crab Spring Roll and My First Bun Cha @ Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam

Fifth day in
Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) and I am finally getting my first bowl of bun cha, at this restaurant by the name of Quan Nem, that's pretty popular with over 3,500 Google reviews!

Lunchtime means a crowded restaurant!
Thank god we didn't have to wait long for a table.

There were only two main items on the menu and the most famous was nem cua bien, crab spring roll; good enough to be granted a mention by CNN even though I don't remember CNN to be renowned for their food reviews.

Ordering via QR code.

Ice cold beer on a hot day can be so refreshing for the body, mind and soul! Furthermore, unless you are getting tra da (the common iced green tea), a can of beer that was sometimes cheaper than soft drinks.

A plate full of vegetables and herbs! Interesting to note that in my recent trip to Hanoi, I realized I do enjoy the mix of the above, despite their slight bitterness, and would heartily add them to my meal 

Essential side dishes for our Bun Cha.
Okay, maybe not the cut chilli.

The full monty; three servings of bun cha! While there was only one bun cha dish on the menu, you can choose ether having ten slices of bacon or six meat balls, or a mix of five slices of bacon with three meat balls. Since it's our first time, let's go for a mix! 

I wouldn't say that I was super blown away by the bacon or the meatballs although if given a choice, my heart would go with the bacon, which was more marinated grilled pork belly, rather than the typical Westernized bacon which was saltier and harder.

You can choose between the southern or the northern fish sauces to dip the vermicelli in; both tasted similar but the southern one was more intense. I think Southern Vietnamese food is generally more flavorful, based on the comparison made after my trip to Hanoi earlier this month.

Crab Spring Roll - I am a big fan of crab and was looking forward to having this, which would only be prepared and deep fried upon order so that you will always have a piping hot roll! 

Check out the steam! By the way, this spring roll wasn't your typical elongated one before it was cut; instead, shape was squarish and looked more like fried tofu from far. 

"Stuffed with chopped crab, glass noodles, black fungus and steamed bean sprout", this was a disappointment. Taste of the crab was weak with most flavors coming from the black fungus, beansprouts, pepper and salt. 

At about S$4.50 each, it's unfortunately not my cup of tea. However, its popularity was high enough for the restaurant to even offer frozen version for you to indulge in the comfort of your own home. I should do that, and maybe eat it with a dollop of Kimball Thai chilli sauce

=====

So much leftovers for the greenies! Anyway, I am not sure if I would return to Quan Nem Restaurant again as we exited without being impressed, and I also personally prefer bun cha's similar yet more aromatic cousin, bun thit nuong.

Address
15E Đ. Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai, Bến Nghé, 
Quận 1, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
10.00 am to 10.00 pm
(Closed on 1st Monday after 2.00pm)

Website

Pricing
Bia Saigon - 30,000 Dong
Bun Cha - 87,000 Dong
Crab Spring Roll - 77,000 Dong



No comments:

Post a Comment