Friday, April 07, 2023

Bánh Mì Hòa Mã - De-constructed Banh Mi @ Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam

My second banh mi in Vietnam and the Great Kon brought us to Bánh Mì Hòa Mã! It was only about 1.3 kilometers from Vien Dong Hotel, but we had to GRAB over as the eatery closed at 11.00am, and could be earlier if items were sold out! 

Knowing we were foreigners, the friendly staff directed us to  the front where there were normal-height tables and chairs. I am actually quite neutral to the typical low table, stools setup since I am not tall although it can be quite strenuous having to bend down constantly to eat. 

Locals had no issue though and it was a typical way of life in Vietnam! Anyway, the eatery appeared relatively popular with almost all tables being occupied; we managed to grab the last one in front of the shop space.

Iced Coffee -  I was just telling my colleagues that I am not a big fan of iced coffee, until I visited Ho Chi Minh City and fell in love with it! The above was the best so far; thick in coffee, rich in milk, not sinfully sweet, and an absolute must under the hot weather! 

Banh Mi Kep Thit - this would be what I called an almost deconstructed banh mi where meats were placed within the bread and other companions were be at the side, depending on whether you want them or not. 

Personally, I prefer to have everything in one so that it's more 'efficient' and doesn't result in any wastage. Nevertheless, it was ultra satisfying to chomp down the "completed" banh mi! Bánh Mì Huynh Hoa was generous with their meat ingredients; however, do note this cost 40% lesser. 

One thing I can't resist from any Vietnamese banh mi would be the pickled vegetables; they added a delicious and crunchy layer of vinegarish sour-sweetness that my taste buds go mmmmmmm with evert bite! 

Banh Mi Op-La Du Thu - the iconic banh mi for Bánh Mì Hòa Mã and it's even more deconstructed! Op-la means eggs and I frankly had no idea how to eat this! One mouth bread and one mouth egg and meat? Isn't this then a Vietnamese version of a typical American breakfast? 

Maybe to differentiate, there were these pieces of fish-cake stuff. 

First step would be to use your spoon to break apart the crispy baguette, right in the middle so that you can provide a cavity to stuff all the rest of the ingredients. 

It wasn't easy; not for butter fingers like me who would have a higher chance of making a big mess out of ingredients like a sunny side up with runny yolk. Compared to this, I am better off eating the normal Vietnamese banh mi. Taste wise, I couldn't get away from the fact that I have had better American breakfast and it came with toasts that were easier to hold and eat. 

Before and after; Alex literally had the Banh Mi Op-La Du Thu like a Western breakfast and only took  few small bites of the baguette; I was too stuffed with bread to help him and I usually don't have breakfast back in Singapore! 

=====

Address
53 Đ. Cao Thắng, Phường 3, Quận 3, 
Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam

Map 
As above.

Menu
As above. 

Pricing
Iced Coffee -  12,000 dong
Banh Mi Kep Thit - 58,000 dong
Banh Mi Op-La Du Thu - 38,000 dong


No comments:

Post a Comment