Friday, April 07, 2023

Unatoto - Famous Unagi Restaurant in Japan @ Guoco Tower (Tanjong Pagar) [Singapore]

Dinner venue was at the SBCD Korean Tofu House branch in Guoco Tower and while there wasn't a queue; the situation at its next door neighbor, Unatoto, was vastly different, with about 20 persons in line! 

With that image that continued to pop up in my brain every now and then, I decided to ask my mom to check out the eatery said to be the number one unagi restaurant in Japan. 

Aside from the fact that she loves unagi [Man Man (now known as Unagi Tei) was unforgettable], Guoco Tower was pretty near the temple she regularly visits, Fook Tet Soo Hakka Temple.

Absolutely love the stunning ceiling design of inverted Japanese paper umbrellas! Do you know that the brollies have been in existence for more than 3,000 years old and associated with people of high status in the past? 

Pretty empty on the day of our visit as we went on a Sunday and arrived slightly before the dining establishment opened for business. In fact, we were the first customers for the day! 

Ordering and payment via the QR code; I don't mind the cashless part although I would still very much prefer a physical menu that would be much larger than the phone screen. Plus, presbyopia is a bitch.

The cutleries, the condiments and the sauces. It's nice to see paper tissues being provided for free as restaurants would typically charge for extra income.

Umaki (Half Size) - a rolled omelette with a piece of unagi within; this appeared to be a normal rolled egg that I was capable of making myself in the comfort of my own kitchen. The impact of the unagi was also minimally felt by my taste buds.   
 
Unajyu Premium - since it's been a while since I brought my mom out for unagi, let's indulge by getting one entire unagi that cost a hefty S$35.00! Those who just wanted to sample can get the smallest that was priced at just S$9.50 a bowl.

Mom was happy to see such a large piece of unagi! 

That didn't stop me from stealing a section though! My expectation heightened due to the queue I chanced upon while having dinner at SBCD Korean Tofu House. With high expectations come great disappointment. the meat of the grilled unagi was not firm, mushy even, and failed to feature that thin, crisp crust that was the norm at Man Man (now known as Unagi Tei).


Add Set A - I topped up the meal with chill tofu and unagi liver soup. Former tasted pretty rough and dry and would benefit a sesame dressing. Latter was plain soup that I thought was a bit too bland. 

Hitsumabushi - this would likely be the cheapest hitsumabushi I ever had at just S$13.50, and I can't wait to go for my favorite style, rice soaked in dashi broth, with pieces of unagi! 

I am a traditionalist; shall go with the first style which was to eat the unagi with just rice drenched with Japanese sauce. Again, the unagi failed to impress. 

Sadly, even my favorite hitsumabushi style didn't manage to better the meal. I expected a smoky aroma in every mouthful but it wasn't as intense. Saving grace was that I did manage to clean up the bowl of rice, and I am not going to waste the unagi!

=====

To be fair, the unagi was decent but I had set too high an expectation and mistakenly assumed this would be compared to Man Man (now known as Unagi Tei) and Uya Unagi Restaurant. Would I be back? Likely not though as I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for better quality unagi. 

Address
7 Wallich Street, #B1-03, 
Guoco Tower, Singapore 078884
(Connected to Tanjong Pagar MRT Station)

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Instagram Page

Pricing
Umaki (Half Size) - S$3.00
Unajyu Premium - S$35.00
Add Set A - S$4.00
Hitsumabushi - S$13.50
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment