Thursday, September 01, 2022

Kopiloco by 1993 - No Pork, No Lard @ Johore Bahru [Malaysia]

Adventurous is not in my blood when it comes to food; hence, I would usually go back to my usual haunts which would have been Roast & Coffee for breakfast in Johor Bahru. But on this particular day, it was full house and I dislike waiting! 

Therefore, we popped by next door, to Kopiloco by 1993. As with Roast & Coffee, it was packed with hungry customers although we were lucky to secure an outdoor table.

Choices, choices, choices.
Being boring means I would just go with my standard.

Signature Kopiloco - important to start the day with a cup of aromatic coffee. Despite its signature tag, this was on the bitter side. It was acceptable for me but not for Alex, who took a few sips, and decided it's not worth it to prolong his torture. 

Half Boiled Kampong Eggs - you remember those fake eggs that were used for decorations? These kampong eggs looked exactly like them and with such pale color, I am unsure if this would meet Alex's standard. 

Our worries were unfounded; they are easily one of the freshest eggs I ever had and it helped that they were perfectly half boiled. These were absolutely beyond Alex's expectations, and I think he regretted not ordering another two. 

Butter Kaya Toast - in traditional Singapore / Malaysia style breakfast, toast is a necessity even though it's confusing when you have 10 types to choose from. Rule of thumb, go for the one with chef recommendation, and butter kaya is, to me, is always the classic version.

Compared to its next door neighbor (Roast & Coffee), this butter kaya toast had the nice bread aroma that I totally need for my toast. No complaint on the butter and kaya; would love a thicker slab of kaya though. 

Mee Siam + Egg - I am more accustomed to having mee siam in the soup form but I did have dry kind before; just thought it isn't as common in Singapore. This mee siam had the basic +egg option and for more luxurious ingredients, you can opt for otak, boneless chicken or rendang chicken.

I am happy with the basic one; the strands of noodle were peppered with sourness and spiciness which I associated with the lime I squeezed earlier. The kick was the sambal chilli; it did a fantastic job in elevating the flavor and increasing its palatability! 

=====

The one thing that will definitely draw me back.
Their Half Boiled Kampong Eggs! 

Address 
64 & 65, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee, 
Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru, 
Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
7.30 am to 5.00 pm

Menu
Scan QR code above.

Pricing
Signature Kopiloco - RM 2.60
Half Boiled Kampong Eggs - RM 3.00 for 2
Butter Kaya Toast - RM 2.60
Mee Siam + Egg - RM 5.90

No comments:

Post a Comment