Sunday, September 18, 2022

MAiSEN Tonkatsu Restaurant @ Central World in Bangkok [Thailand]

Japanese cuisine in Bangkok is said to be of a higher quality than Singapore and with a recommendation from a friend who stays in Thailand's capital city; we made our way to have dinner at MAiSEN Tonkatsu Restaurant in Central World! 

Complimentary cabbage and green tea (hot / cold) that were refillable, provided you order the set! Two more items can also be topped up for free when you order the tonkatsu; miso soup and Japanese steamed rice.

The three sauces you can freely dispense for the bowl of cabbage. The roasted sesame sauce was similar to the popular kewpie one we can get in Singapore but I prefer the one with soy sauce which was more appetizing, given the heightened saltiness.

Freshly shredded cabbage drizzled with the roasted sesame soy sauce dressing was so good, and it did make me feel somewhat healthier since it would balance out the sinful, deep fried pork cutlet.

Grilled Salmon Set - this was Alex's order! The salmon was grilled perfectly, without the overcooked texture whenever I attempted to do the same at home. The accompanying chawanmushi had an unique flavor that tasted strongly of bonito.

Loin Tonkatsu Set - miso soup wasn't watered down, and now that I am older, I have a deeper appreciation for kelp in the soup, which is known for its health benefits (high in antioxidants).

I am always looking out for the layer of fat in my tonkatsu! While it might appear tender and juicy from the above photo, the texture of the meat was a bit tough. As usual. we would need the tonkatsu sauce to up the palatability but I very much prefer freshly ground sesame seeds to go with the sauce.

In summary, the tonkatsu was definitely above average although it still faces a tough fight to dethrone Saboten, which is where I would always go for whenever the craving for tonkatsu strikes. 

Dessert - we were about to leave when the service staff told me there was still dessert with options for either green tea ice cream or almond jelly. Since I am not a fan of green tea desserts, the latter it shall be. 

Pretty good and similar to my sister's homemade version, which was made using prepack powder that you can purchase from the supermarket. Nevertheless, this came with the set and I am not complaining. 

=====

Address
7th floor, centralwOrld,
Khet Pathumwan, 2978 Rama I Rd, 
Pathum Wan, Bangkok 1033, Thailand

Pricing
Grilled Salmon Set - 335 baht
Loin Tonkatsu Set - 365 baht
(Subject to Service Charge and Inclusive of Tax)

No comments:

Post a Comment