Saturday, September 17, 2022

Stinky Tofu and Other Soya Products from 豆宫殿 (Xiang Yu Fatt) @ Johor Taman Gaya in Malaysia

I was reminiscing about the stinky tofu from Taiwan with a Malaysian friend when he commented that there was a weekend food truck near his house in Johor Bahru that also cooked up a mean stinky tofu! Sadly, I don't really like to visit Johor on weekends given the jam and he kindly went to check with the boss if he has a physical shop. 

Turned out there was indeed one with the name "豆宫殿", located near Mount Austin! Honestly, when I got the name of the shop, I thought it's going to be decorated along the same standard and magnitude as an imperial hall as the last two Chinese characters refer to a hall within a palace. 

Well, it was much smaller than expected.

One simple shop space without the opulence and luxury. Anyway, a name is just a name and I am glad I don't get stuck-up service from the lady in charge. p.s. she was really friendly by the way!  

Aside from stinky tofu, 豆宫殿 also served soya products like soya milk and soya beancurd (both with added options like purple potato sago, grass jelly, black pearl, ginger etc). We already had breakfast before taking GRAB to the area; hence, I could only order sparingly.

Soya Milk -  this tasted just like those I could get from hawker centres in Singapore. Given its focus on soya products, I was expecting a richer flavor with a thicker consistency. Nevertheless, still nice on a hot day.

Soya Beancurd - large portion and you have options for either the usual transparent sugar syrup or brown sugar syrup. Latter was known for being "healthier" and this nutritional tagline is always welcome as one transitions into middle age. 

The beancurd was silky smooth and easily one of the better ones in the market! If I am living nearby, I would likely be a loyal customer as I would sometimes have beancurd for dinner, especially after a heavy lunch.    

Stinky Tofu
- I couldn't remember if I ordered small or medium. Given that I travelled so far, I would have opted for a larger portion. However, I am also mindful I would be eating, and eating, with more eating for the day trip. 

Whatever the case, these pieces of stinky tofu didn't have a strong stench and I was frankly quite worried that this would be a wasted trip, with extra nagging from Alex, who loves stinky tofu as much as I do. 

Despite the faint aroma, these were delicious with that unmistakable (and memorable) smelly taste once you crunch through the crisp layer of the freshly fried tofu! The sauce drizzled over the tofu had a sweetness that made you just want to eat more! 

I am always on the lookout for pickled cabbage that is a perfect complement for stinky tofu. The ones from 豆宫殿 definitely meet the cut for its crunchiness and the perfect balance of vinegarish sweetness! Satisfying!

===== 


Needless to say, this shall be my must-visit whenever I go Johor! Disclaimer; provided my fellow travel kakis are keen. My mom had already expressed her disagreement to join me if I ever want to bring her there. :(

 Address 
26, Jalan Gaya 25, Taman Gaya, 
81800Johor, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Facebook Page

Menu 
As above.

Pricing
Soya Milk - RM 3.00
Soya Beancurd - RM 4.00
Stinky Tofu - From RM 9.00

Additional Info
They do wholesale for their stinky tofu! My neighbors should be assured that, thankfully, I don't allow deep frying in my kitchen. Furthermore, I would think I need a permit to bring in to Singapore too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment