Monday, September 19, 2022

Thai Style Pancake - It's Roti Prata @ Bangkok [Thailand]

My stomach is known for being sensitive and I am apprehensive whenever I eat street food. Strangely,
Bangkok is one of the few places that I am happy to indulge in street food and, I almost went over the moon when I saw the above mobile food stall on day three of my trip.

Singaporeans and Malaysians alike would be familiar with this food as it's commonly found in both countries, although pronunciation wise, there are differences. In Singapore, it's known as roti prata and for our closest neighbor, it's called roti canai.

Whatever the case, the one in Thailand was an enhanced version as it's more a dessert whereas in both Singapore and Malaysia; we tend to eat it as a main meal, usually breakfast, and with curry / sugar. 

With sixteen choices, the one I was going for was banana and egg! Similar to roti prata / canai, the operator took out a piece of dough, flattened and pan-fried it, put in the fillings and then quickly folded the edges. 

Awaiting the dough to cook. The second photo would look no difference from a typical piece of roti prata / canai. I love roti prata but it's high in carbohydrates and I often need two portions to feel satisfied; hence, I try to restrict this specific indulgence! 

In Thailand, the roti was further drenched with condensed milk, which would bulk up the calories intake! However, it has one big draw; the spike in palatability and obviously a welcome for those with a sweet tooth! 

Here's the finalized product.

Let's indulge! Unlike Singapore / Malaysia, the Thailand's version would be cut into smaller pieces for ease of sharing and eating. My verdict for this Thai style pancake; pretty good when it was still warm but for someone who loves crispy prata; the texture, even the edges, was too soft for my liking.

Not the best Thai style pancake but as a dessert, this was acceptable. The condensed milk was definitely the deal-breaker and while I could do the same in Singapore, I think fellow Singaporeans would likely at me with absolute disbelief and disgust.  

=====

Location
Opposite from Green Coat Cafe.
p.s. this is a mobile food stall. 

Menu
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment