Tuesday, September 13, 2022

CHADA Pavilion - Royal Thai Desserts @ ICONSIAM in Bangkok [Thailand]

The Chinese believes good food must have three components; good visual, nice smell and delicious taste. A simple minded person like me goes only for the taste although I must admit visual and aroma often compete for the first impression. 

One recent, real life example took place was when I visited ICONSIAM in Bangkok. Strolling past the many food stalls at the basement SOOK SIAM, I stopped to this beautiful sight in front of me.

Exquisitely made, colorful and bite sized, these pretty royal Thai desserts were so captivating; I actually stood there for a few minutes, marveling at how they can look so appealing, exactly like 'little pieces of arts' articulated on a poster. 

As a marketing student, I am not easily manipulated into buying something but at just 15 baht a piece; the pricing wouldn't exactly burn a hole in my pocket and I was somewhat tempted.

Deal-breaker was the provision of indoor seating! I wouldn't want to bring back the dessert in plastic boxes and forgetting all about them, a high possibility given my scrambled-egg brain when it comes to stuff not related to work.

There was also a drink menu with morbidly-named ones like cyanide, last words, death in the afternoon etc. Sadly, Alex and I are boring persons and we went with safe sounding beverages like Queen Roselle and Passion Cooler.

Honestly disappointed when the drinks were served in disposable plastic cups! It's a sit-in café and the menu clearly showed cartooned glass / plastic mugs. Nevertheless, my passion cooler was a thirst quenching fruit tea; it was full of ice though and before long, I was down to my last drip. 

Nine pieces in total. And please don't ask what they are called as I would never have known since the labels, was in Thai. Even if they were in English, I doubt I would remember anyway. 

Alex almost wanted to purchase a few boxes for our neighbors, without trying and he was so pleased we decided to buy a few for the sake of sampling. In a nutshell, not exactly our cup of tea. Texture for the biscuit like ones were soft, not crunchy with a sweet, milky yet perfumed flavor that didn't impress. 

As you can probably determine from the above; we took just a few small bites and decided not to waste our limited calories intake. The only one I enjoyed was the eggy foi thong (golden egg yolk threads); rest was just meh to be frank but do note that out of 23 on display, we only tried 9. 

=====

Address 
696 ซอย เจริญนคร Khlong Ton Sai, Khlong San, 
Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10600, Thailand

Map
As above.

Pricing
Royal Thai Desserts - 15 baht a piece
Queen Roselle - 90 baht
Passion Cooler - 90 baht

Additional Information
Supposed to be low sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment