Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Charoen Nakhon BTS Station - Along the Gold Line and Next to ICONSIAM in Bangkok [Thailand]

Before the pandemic, access to ICONSIAM for general tourists is only limited to the free ferry service or GRAB. You can also opt to rent a car and drive there, or take the public bus, if you are familiar with the routes. 

Now, you have another option! Via the Charoen Nakhon BTS Station along the Gold Line, which was open in December 2020! I actually didn't know and just happened to chance upon the station, which was right next to ICONSIAM, when I spotted the train tracks while shopping on the ground level. 

I could have taken the free ferry to Saphan Taksin BTS station but with some time to spare, I think we should check out the gold line. Just the word "gold" makes me feel that I would win some lottery after taking a ride along the line.

Train platform; although there were two sides, only one was operational. 

Knowing my directions pretty well, I knew this direction would bring me to Krung Thon Buri BTS station along the Silom Line, which would be the same line for Ratchadamri station, where Grande Centre Point Ratchadamri is.

Other end, towards Khlong San BTS station. You can actually see the station in the above photo; at the moment, Gold Line has just three stations, comprising a distance of just 1.72 kilometers; that's less than half my usual jogging range. 

Direct connection to ICONSIAM. According to Wikipedia, the Gold Line wasn't included in the Mass Rapid Transit Master Plan for Bangkok and was partially funded by property developer, Siam Piwat; the same company that develops ICONSIAM.

Arrival of the train! 

Interior of the train; reminded me of the skytrains at Changi International Airport as there were limited seats, driverless and featured a dual-car operations.

Wait, it's going towards Khlong San BTS station?! 
No, I want to go to Krung Thon Buri BTS station! 

This is the Taksin hospital; not sure if it is good news for the patients as train tracks can be insanely noisy and even in Singapore, the MRT tracks have to be "flanked by vertical boards up to 4.5m high that can reflect or absorb sound waves".

Finally on the correct track. That unique building in the center, is Millennium Hilton Bangkok. At over a hundred meters tall, it was overshadowed by its two towering neighbors.

Going back to ICONSIAM again.

Photos taken on the train ride; it's mainly a residential area I feel although I bet there would be plenty to see or do as it's a local district. As I was mentioning to a friend, Bangkok is huge and there are always new places to explore. 

Check out the video I took while on the Gold Line! I just realized I have uploaded the wrong train picture at the start of the video! 

Back on familiar grounds; Krung Thon Buri BTS station along the Silom Line. 

=====

No comments:

Post a Comment