Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Midas Touch Chicken Curry with Golden Baked Roti Pratas @ Hong Lim Food Centre [Chinatown, Singapore] #honglimhawkercentre

The carbohydrate on my mind was noodle, specifically Hokkien mee, but no such stall was operating when I was at Hong Lim Food Centre, after checking out from
Marina Bay Sands two Fridays ago! 

After circling the hawker centre twice, I finally decided to toss my coin at the above stall with the name Midas Touch. Those familiar with the mythical story would know; anything that Midas touched would turn into gold. 

He was said to have almost starved to death as even food would turned into gold when he brought it into his mouth. Ironically, warm, edible food was the exact thing I would be having to curb my hunger.

Jokes aside, I was in a bit of dilemma despite the limited menu; should I have curry chicken or masala butter chicken? Plain rice or their signature golden baked roti prata? Eventually, the boss helped made the decision, for me.

Midas Touch Chicken Curry & Golden Baked Roti Pratas; for variety purpose, I am going with one plain and one spring onion. From the look of it, I was thinking that my calorie count that day would likely burst through the roof! 

Despite the small pot, it was stuffed with chicken, brinjal, potatoes and hardboiled egg; all swimming in a curry said to be Thai style, with no MSG. While it's not a halal certified stall, the owner did mention the chicken he used is halal. 

As indicated on the menu, the roti pratas were baked and not pan-fried in the typical method we are more accustomed to; noticeable immediately was the very much reduced oil and the pratas were crispy, fluffy and airy! What I absolutely needed then was actually sugar to complement the curry; my personal style. 

Chicken was tender but I did notice that the owner drenched the chicken with curry, rather than cooking them together. Hence, I didn't get that curry infused flavour into the chicken meat; which wasn't a bad thing as I guess the meat would have integrated given its tenderness. 

Sadly, the curry didn't appeal to me. I was expecting more the rich, coconut milk curry with mild spiciness, similar to Fu Xiang, and this version was too spicy for me and more aligned with the curry we ate at roti prata stalls; albeit with thicker consistency.

=====

Address
531, Upper Cross Stree, 
Hong Lim Market & Food Centre, 
#02-07, Singapore 050531

Map
As above.

Facebook Page

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Midas Touch Chicken Curry - S$5.00
Golden Baked Roti Pratas - S$2.40 for two pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment